Poway mountain lions

Basically if you ever do have to defend yourself from a lion you basically just posted that you premeditated shooting one. A guy shot one with his bow in the Lagunas a few years back it was a total circus in court. Antis prefer a lions life over a humans you basically need to have teeth marks on you to justify shooting one in this state. Post what you want I was just giving you my opinion.
I believe lions should be managed by hunters. I am in full support of reopening lion hunting in this state but until that happens I will honor the laws of where I live. When we throw our ethics out the window or say things like shoot shovel shut up we lose all validity in the conversation of hunting and conservation. Just my 2 cents not trying to cause trouble.

I totally agree with you, Drew.....I've had 2 friends have them come in on them while turkey hunting.....They just scared them off.....If you get caught killing one, they WILL throw the book at you.....Not worth it IMO.

I totally agree. However if I have to defend myself or a love one. I will not hesitate. Thus this BS law no handgun while bow hunting. Really sucks. An other reason I don't hike state parks. For same reason. Now for the law. I do not condone breaking the law. And no esle should either.

I heard some old data that hunters kill about 20k deer in Ca per year, Mt lions around 30k
Seems to me the mountain lion kill rate would be much higher since hunters success is 10% or less.
And lions have to eat often. It seems it would be tough to figure out.
During my hikes I would see lion kills or the remain about every other hike. Last year seen several. Even what was left of a big Tom cat in the middle of nowhere. Fur every where. It must of put up good fight be cause there fur left by the predator. Crazy.

Reactions: Goyaałé
It was a stupid law to pass and that becomes more obvious as time goes by. Even DFW is against it. Now 3 or 4 generations in, lions have no fear of humans. Walking cheeseburgers.

"But they are so cuddly."

letter #16 three times.

Reactions: Smokey58
A few years ago one was staring at kids on a playground here in south OC. A special community meeting was held and the local state lion expert was there. Very informative. They collar and track virtually every lion out there. Most are killed by cars. Number one prey item is deer. Number two is coyote according to their research.

lions are about the only thing that freaks me out in the wild. I routinely check behind me. I hope they never cause me problems. I carry bear spray as my non lethal deterrent, and a pistol as a life or death last resort.

lions are about the only thing that freaks me out in the wild. I routinely check behind me. I hope they never cause me problems. I carry bear spray as my non lethal deterrent, and a pistol as a life or death last resort.
Honestly I wouldn't worry about lions. If they get you, they'll get you, and you probably won't see it coming. I equate it to not worrying about sharks when I surf; attacks are rare. In the woods, because of the areas I hunt, I worry more about the 2-legged predators if you catch my drift.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ilovesprig

Oscar,

I just don't think about....I have literally spent my whole life in these mountains and the Sierra's....I have never seen a lion in the wild while hunting....And only about 3 or 4 while driving.....The odds of being attacked are about as good as winning the lottery.

There are a lot worse ways to die. Should be pretty quick and at least I would be doing what I loved. Trust me lions probably see you probably every time you get out in the hills.

Last deer season I saw my first lion, staring at me, about 100 yards away. It was pretty cool, to be honest. But the wind was in my favor and it was following some does. It made me think though, how many times have they known I was there, but I had no idea they were there?

Reactions: TRICER
SurfN,

I think that is the point. Lions are masters of disguise. Just because YOU think you don't see them does not mean they are not watching YOU.

Two years ago I went to Caspar's Park here in OC. I spoke with the woman at the gate about the 'lion warning' signs. She said she had been there for 10 years and never saw one. I went into the park and no more than 150 yards from where she was sitting was a long tail licking its lips over horses in the corral. BUT she didn't see it.

If, in the woods, you suddenly have a wave of fear, guess what? Your body saw a lion you are not acknowledging. Happens all the time. Why do you think they eat so well?

long time ago the wife and I went to the wild animal park. We were at the lion exhibit. We were near the fence area. Looking we could not see anything. Suddenly I saw an ear twitch they were laying down right next to the fence near us. They blended so we'll we could not see them until one twitch. Very unerving . All what everyone said is true. Lion attacks are rare. However my philosophy is never put yourself in a situation of in danger. Just cause it's rare but it is safer to go hunting with buddy. Carry a SOS beacon. If hunting alone. People break stuff accidents happens. Be aware of your surroundings. When sitting at stand must have your back covered. While is true surviving an attack would be tough. Whether in the city or in woods this has been my philosophy.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu