Prayers needed

Shadowlawnskysthelimit

Mar 5, 2021
Please say a prayer for me this
afternoon ! Total freak accident !
A few weeks ago I was working on the boat at the house. I had climbed out of the boat to switch out the dead battery in an impact screw gun. As I walked out of the garage the shoelace loop on my left foot lassoed the metal shoelace tab on right foot of my Merril’s taking my feet out from under me. From now on shoelace loops get tucked in !!!
I detached my hamstring tendons completely from the Pelvic bone. I am scheduled for surgery today Friday the 21st at 4:30 pm.
With a 4-6 month recovery time I will miss my first hunting season in 53 years. Pretty bummed about that !!
We are praying there is no damage to Sciatic nerve which is a possibility and a good recovery !
Update y’all when I can !!

Reactions: JakeSCH
I hope your surgery goes well! My dad did something similar a couple of years ago trying to take off his cowboy boots. We found a couple of spots we could hunt more or less from the truck so at least he got out that year. Didn't get anything, but at least we got out

Hang in there dude...hunting will be there when well. Get that hammy taken care of. And yes..the truck can help in many situations..just make sure it's not lifted and it's a stock rigg.

WOW, freak accident. Never heard that one before. Best hope for a good surgeon and a speedy recovery. Remember, PT is your friend.

Dang Kevin.

Prayers sent old friend.....Don't give up on the season...Doctors nowadays do miracle things...January is long ways away........ ;)

Does it look like this? I had the exact same injury a year ago. I am happy to walk you through my experience.

Leg.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: ilovesprig
Hope everything goes well you deer will be there next not to worry will only have a better rack for you.

Hey boys and girls ! Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes !!

Had a little hiccup at the end of surgery as surgeon was closing me up; Heart went into Afib, irregular heartbeat. They ended up keeping me in hospital till Sunday the 23rd till I could get an Echocardiogram completed; results from that were good. For now they have me on a blood thinner to make sure I don't have an issue with blood clots. Cardio Doc wanted me to start taking a pill to regulate my heart rate but couldn't convince me and the Warden that it was necessary. Doc said my heart rate was over 130 several times and once around 150 but couldn't/wouldnt show me proof cuz from what we could see it never went over 97. Doc didn't like me questioning his recommendations; so he's out for continuing to treat me. Not into taking the blood thinner, but definitely not into becoming Big Parma's newest poster boy. I am to see a different Cardiologist in a couple weeks; for now monitoring my vitals which have remained good.

Surgery on detached hammy went great according to Ortho Doc. He actually gave me green light to put weight on leg day after surgery. Had a PT guy here earlier this morning and walked 4 houses down to the corner and back with no walker/crutches; he was surprised at my my progress. Only took pain meds for first day and a half in the hospital; I think I could have done without them on 2nd day but didn't want to wake up and pain be raging. Tylenol for another 24 hours; nothing since then. Im a firm believer that when you dope up to relieve all pain your natural immune and healing systems aren't working as they should. This belief came from a wise ol Japanese Surgeon who took care of me after a 3 story fall back in the 80's.

I haven't had a cigarette since before surgery and am going to try my best to stop. Warden and kids have been on me for years to stop; so I guess this is a
good time ! You can pray for me on that Im going to need it !

180ls1, I had pulled/torn same hammy in 2012 and my leg looked like that. With this full detachment fromPelvic bone I didn't have any bruising at all; my butt check and upper leg looks like that now though after surgery.

Thanks again all for the well wishes !!

Boy Scout, so far no issues with Sciatic nerve. My understanding is that when the hamstring tendons detached that the Sciatic nerve could have beed damaged by tendons retracting. MRI showed initial retraction at 2-3 cm which Ortho Doc said was good cuz it could have been worse; the longer tendons remained detached the chances of retraction becoming greater is possible and could damage Sciatic nerve if it wasn't initially. Nerve can also be damaged during surgery when tendons are pulled back up to re-attach; so far everything is good !

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
Boy Scout, so far no issues with Sciatic nerve. My understanding is that when the hamstring tendons detached that the Sciatic nerve could have beed damaged by tendons retracting. MRI showed initial retraction at 2-3 cm which Ortho Doc said was good cuz it could have been worse; the longer tendons remained detached the chances of retraction becoming greater is possible and could damage Sciatic nerve if it wasn't initially. Nerve can also be damaged during surgery when tendons are pulled back up to re-attach; so far everything is good !

Glad to hear its going so well now! That heart stuff is terrifying though.

Mine was retracted 14cm and I had be in bed 24/7 without any weight bearing for 6 weeks post surgery. Hopefully you can salvage this fall after all! I was able to get out and hunt ahead of schedule and kill some stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: ilovesprig
Kevin,

Great to hear things went relatively well........:blush:

The heart thing is something you'll need to watch...Ditching the "Coffin Nails" will help....... :clap:

Reactions: YETI

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu