Pressure cooker recommendation.

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
I have quite a bit of fish I want to preserve. I usually vacuum seal. I have smoked it in the past.

This time I really want to can it. I bought 12 oz jars from Walmart for $10. I need a pressure cooker. My plan is to preserve it in oil and spices so it is ready to make sandwiches and such.

The pots I saw at Walmart are the 7 in 1 "Instantpot" brand and similar. I have heard those might not be the best pots to use but I am not sure. Are electric better than traditional stove top?

Does anyone have any experience with this process?

Thanks for the help.

My only experience is with a presto stove top, actually that's not true, I had an electric one that was crap. I have put up untold jars of tuna. I keep it simple, olive oil and a pinch of salt. 90 mins. at 15 psi. Most important thing is, sterilize jars, lids and ring in boiling water for ten mins. before filling. After you have jars filled to about 3/4 " from the top wipe the top of the jar before putting on lid and ring. Anything on jar sealing edge and it won't seal properly. If that happens the lid won't pop down and seal jar when it cools down. If that happens, just put those jars in frig. and use them within a few days.

Buy once, cry once. Get the biggest one you can.
I got mine 22 quart stove top at OC Swapmeet years ago. Today it’s probably an Amazon thing?

oh and what he said above on the prep is spot on!!

Reactions: Wildgame
This is the one I got
All American 921 Canner Pressure Cooker, 21.5 qt, Silver
I can tuna with salt and either jalapeños or serrano peppers.

WOW, I just saw 22 qt. Presto on Amazon for $125.00. Stove top. Good thing about presto is gaskets and gauge are available at Ace hardware. Always good to have spare on hand. Not the gauge so much but gaskets need replacing every so often.

Awesome. Thank you for the advice.

I think the Presto 23 Quart for $128 should work.

Awesome. Thank you for the advice.

I think the Presto 23 Quart for $128 should work.
If you have not yet ordered it, look down the page and look at some of the options they always offer. extra gaskets if available and a set of jag tongs and lid magnet.

WOW, I just saw 22 qt. Presto on Amazon for $125.00. Stove top. Good thing about presto is gaskets and gauge are available at Ace hardware. Always good to have spare on hand. Not the gauge so much but gaskets need replacing every so often.
No gasket on the one I have. I

This is the one I got
All American 921 Canner Pressure Cooker, 21.5 qt, Silver
I can tuna with salt and either jalapeños or serrano peppers.

Haha - that is the canner I was going to recommend to you. I had one for years. The real deal...

Reactions: punkur67
Larry cooked his coyote in one and bobcat too if I'm not mistaken...ahh..Larry.

Pressure cooked rabid predators, It's just the best you can get. Got a skunk going at the moment. Let me now if want to come by and pick some up. Also have some ground squirrels hanging in the fridge that I'm gonna smoke in a couple of weeks when they age properly.

• Haha
Reactions: IVhunter
Well..if Larry ate them..how bad could it be?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu