PRIME RIB FOR CHRISTMAS

MAG 1

Sep 1, 2016
The family is coming over for Christmas, and I have a 12 lbs prime rib to cook for Christmas dinner. I have never cooked the prime rib before and am looking for recipes or suggestions that would help me out. I figured since I have seen some really good dishes on here that I would ask rather then go to google. Any info will help THANKS

Reactions: Dawnandusk
I'm partial to smoking my prime rib, just imparts a little bit of smoke taste, not over powering, and frees up the oven for other items.
https://greenmountaingrills.com/recipes/holiday-prime-rib/
But if you don't have a smoker, then most seasoning packages you can get at the grocery store have some fairly solid instructions.
Getting hungry just thinking about it.

Mark,

I make a simple rub of olive oil, crushed garlic, sea salt, pepper, and rosemary, then slather the rib roast. I'll crank the oven to 500 and put it in for about 15-20 mins to sear the outside (or you can do this in a hot pan) before turning it down to 350. Then it's all about following cooking times (how many mins per pound) and check it early with a meat thermometer to ensure you don't overcook it. With a 12 pound roast, the middle should be rare, moving to medium rare outside of that, etc. Even if you don't like rare prime rib, I like having the middle rare so you can use it for leftovers to reheat to your desired doneness. After it's done, let it rest for 20 mins before cutting otherwise the juices will run everywhere and won't reconstitute in the meat. With your pan drippings, I run those through a sieve and then add extra beef stock and reduce to make au jus.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dry rub Smoke it and pull it when the temp hits 130 degrees. Wrap it in foil throw it in a cooler while you make all the fixings.

If you don’t have a smoker braise it in a pan or on the BBQ and then roast it in the oven or in a roaster until internal hits 130degress.

This is also a great candidate for sous-vide cooking.

Is it cut into steaks, 12 lbs is big.
How do restaurants cook it.
Is it grilled?
I do T-Bone on the grill slow cooked. Cooked to people's preference. Rare, medium rare ect.

Dry rub Smoke it and pull it when the temp hits 130 degrees. Wrap it in foil throw it in a cooler while you make all the fixings.

If you don’t have a smoker braise it in a pan or on the BBQ and then roast it in the oven or in a roaster until internal hits 130degress.

This is also a great candidate for sous-vide cooking.
no smoking , my old man doesn't like smoked prime rib, or thats what I woukld have done.

My suggestion is filet the ribs off and season everything then tie the ribs back on with butchers twine. Cook until the temp is 110 center core or other wise it ill be overdone. Wrap in cotton towels for 45 minutes and then cut. I suggest that you start at 500 to sear for the first thirty minutes and then 350 to get it to 110 and pull it When you pull it will continue to gain heat for twenty minutes or so that is why I believe you should pull early. You can't un-cook meat but you can refinish if it is not what you want. I like my red meat rare and to be able to crawl off the plate if it can. P.S. Traeger smokers work great for this as they can put off the heat if you use oak and also get some smoke flavor on it.

I do the exact same rub as SurfnHunt but I roast mine in a George Forman Rotisserie. I like to stick some Rosemary sprigs under the twine.
Finished off with a great reduction for dipping.

Dang, that looks really good.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu