Private Land Turkey TAUNTING ME!!

2dogs1name

May 10, 2015
Corona
www.youtube.com
First let me thank Bonejour, iLoveSprig, dthome and Mr Sunset for their assistance with this newbie turkey hunter. Don't bother asking them what they told me...they swore the secret oath :)

I just wanted to share my first (what I consider) successful turkey hunt I had today. By success, to quote ilovesprig, I mean "Right Place/Right Time". I live in Corona, so to get to this location I drive about 2hours south...to get to me there by 6am. As I was driving up the mountain road, I am greeted by THIS Tom, gobbling at me like he's giving me the finger. Just starring at me drive to a stop in my truck. If only I could take him right there! But no, it's land owned by the City of San Diego (WTF?!?!?) The city, run by liberals, block parcels of land off and lease them to cattle ranchers...go figure.

(see video)

Anyway, I did the best I knew how to lure those 3 Toms across the private land invisible line to CNF (If you guys do nothing else, buy the app for your phones called onXhunt for $30...it tells you EXACTLY where the borders are and who owns the private land.

I did all the right things, from calls to silence, to decoys...but I was just too far away for the Tom to travel and he had just finished with the two hens (see photos)...3hrs later I called it and the rain required the Forest Rangers to close/lock the gates today anyway, so I had to leave. But, I'm happy...there is turkey...and there are Toms...who can go from Private to public if you can convince them it's worth it.

I'm sure the advanced guys on this forum would have had a kill today...but I know it will be me soon...I finally found the right place...just need the right time :)

Attachments

• IMG_2188(1).mp4
    8.8 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2192.jpg
    IMG_2192.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2204.jpg
    IMG_2204.jpg
    877.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2205.jpg
    IMG_2205.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
Reactions: Ocstevo
2dogs,

You saw and heard turkeys......Great going......Getting them to come out of private into the public is always tough. And I don't how good a caller you are..... :p

I can tell you many a turkey have meant their maker there..... ;)

I'd call that a successful hunt too! AS many times as I've "hunted" on public lands and have never seen or heard a turkey. Just hearing one and knowing it was close would get me all giddy like a little school girl at a Justin Bieber concert.

Still 3 weeks of hunting time left. Good luck!

I might know that spot if it's land owned by the city you can't hunt. You don't even have it bad being taunted tho. I see birds everyday that I can't kill unless I want a record with the dfw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job though man, even if you didn't come home with one.! I'm completely new to hunting turkeys too. Headed out tomorrow even though it'll be raining.. Can't get em in the oven sittin on the couch. This site is full of great guys with awesome advise!

Tbob said:
Nice job though man, even if you didn't come home with one.! I'm completely new to hunting turkeys too. Headed out tomorrow even though it'll be raining.. Can't get em in the oven sittin on the couch. This site is full of great guys with awesome advise!
If you could swing it hunt after the rain and you'll do way better

Tbob said:
It was just a light drizzle on and off, but D16 is right, once the heavier rain started they were gone...

Great job 2dogs. I wish I deserved the credit you give me. I agree with everyone else that you had a successful hunt.

You think these birds were taunting you I saw a hen out my bedroom window this morning. Now that's being taunted.
2d737b88935c88f3383736e6e15b2720.jpg

Single hens are a good thing......Means they're either laying eggs or taking a break from the nest.....With much higher grass this year, I'm hoping for some better recruitment for next year.

ilovesprig said:
Single hens are a good thing......Means they're either laying eggs or taking a break from the nest.....With much higher grass this year, I'm hoping for some better recruitment for next year.
I have history with this single too. She comes a around each year from April to June and last year I saw her with 2 poults. Hopefully we get a higher recruitment next year. There's hope for the future.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu