Private land... ugghhhh...

Dawnandusk

Sep 26, 2018
Bonita
Has anybody noticed that every so often OnX maps will have an update and more private lands pop up where you were planning on hunting?
I hate that.
One day it is Cleveland National Forest Land ( public) next thing I know many private lands cover the same area...
Did I say that I hate that?

Last edited by a moderator:
The CNF maps needs updated too.
Lot of private land has become CNF.
What I have seen happened sold to state or federal. It becomes state park or is sold to a corporation..

Reactions: Dawnandusk
I've never experienced where public lands became private lands...Just the opposite...CNF has bought many ranches that are now available for hunting...DFW has bought or been donated land as well...Most these lands either become preserves or wildlife areas...Again, in many cases this is a net gain for hunting...Best example locally is the old Starr/Rutherland ranch...Part is the San Felipe W.A and much is the CNF up in Julian...All these areas were closed, when I moved to San Diego in 1974.

What I have noticed are places like the Mojave desert...This area was checker boarded with BLM & private...We could go anywhere and hunt it...Now it's the Mojave Desert Preserve...Most is still huntable, but access in many cases is impossible.

The one area that I can think about that was available to hunt, if you got permission, is along Int. 8 near Boulevard...This is now part of Borrego State part.

Last edited:
The silver lining is that OnX continues to update their data. That alone is huge. (Regardless if it's private to public or vise-versa.)

To tag on to what was mentioned above, many areas (especially in the desert) have been designated as "Wilderness". Technically still huntable, but restricted to foot travel only. Great if you want to hike in, but not so great if your access point is too many miles from your hunt location.

The only thing I noticed is that if you download maps for offline use they dont get updated. There are areas that are public if online, when I switch to offline they shows as private. Update your offline maps!!

Are you talking about changes only in the Southern part of CNF?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu