Private Property

Baldkrash

Aug 4, 2013
So I'm reading the regulations for mammal hunting and can't make sense of the private property issue. If the property is not posted, fenced or in any way marked, doesn't that mean I can hunt it?

My understanding is you would need written permission from the owner on you. You Definately don't want to hunt someone's land with out permission.

Get onx maps. They aren't required to mark their property line by law. But they can have you arrested for hunting on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2dogs1name
bk,

The regs say.....If the property doesn't belong to you, it belongs to someone else.....It is your responsibility to know who that is.....Be it the state, the feds, corporation, or a person.....With that said....Legally in a court of law, it should be posted 3 signs to the mile, cultivated, or fenced.....So what that means is, you could probably hunt it and get away with it.

This day & age with OnxMaps, it will tell you who owns it.....No reason to not own this app in SoCal.

ps....I once got a trespassing ticket while hunting.....The warden said I was on private property.....Yet the signs were south of where I was standing (no fence or cultivation either).....To the north of the signs was national forest.....He said that their property went up to the NF signs (1 sign stating must be in legal pursuit of game above me)....There were no signs between me and those signs.....Needless to say, I went to court and beat it easily.....The point being here is, you just don't know what law enforcement will determine despite thinking you do know who owns the land. That's why it's important to know the legal aspect of trespassing.

And at the end of the day what's your time worth to you? Lose a hunting day and spend another in court

And at the end of the day what's your time worth to you? Lose a hunting day and spend another in court

Exactly.....I think I heard about 90% of guys that get citations just pay them....Fortunately, I had the time to do my research and go to court....Twice!

I have had multiple encounters with DFG where I was in the right and had to prove myself since they were wrong. ONX maps will save your butt in these situations. Both times didn not result in a citation. Sadly a lot of our DFG are trying to find a way to cite you rather than help you. Always dot your i's and cross your t's

Reactions: 2dogs1name
Sigh! That's what I was afraid of. I found a sweet property owned by a corporation in tx. The only reason I knew it was private was because of my Onx maps app.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu