problem with my .17

sherpa

Nov 21, 2011
Flynn Springs
I have a RWS break barrel in 17 cal, all of a sudden it will not shoot a group. I changed the scope and it didn't do any good any sugestions

I had the same problem with my Benjamin NP .22.......Changed scopes 3 times......Finally just gave the gun away.

Did you change the rings? Have you tired different pellets? You might want to try some heavier one. Pellet guns can be very picky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You check if everything tight? All nuts and bolts. Clean barrel? Damaged crown? Shooting perfect pellets vs dented? If you had a chrono you could check velocity if its consistent.

Are you sure you are shooting same distance as prior testing? Sometimes, if it has been awhile since last shooting, i remember things better than the truth. Thats why I keep old targets.

Have you started any medications that affect your heart rate, maybe tremors? Stretching but could be the issue.
Hope you find the issue.

As stated, make sure "everything" is tight. Spring guns rattle everything loose and like to kill scopes,recommend getting a one piece mount. Too,check that the breech oring is still intact and not crushed or out of place. I would not recommend using lightweight PBA pellets as they may damage your spring being to lightweight, but something like a JSB brand for accuracy. You can check on the gatewaytoairguns forum and do a search for possible answers as well. Hope this helps.

I had the same problem with my Benjamin NP .22.......Changed scopes 3 times......Finally just gave the gun away.
Really? I love the one I got. I was shooting rats with it in the backyard. Deadly inside 25 yards the way I had it sighted in. I did hit a squirrel at about 45 yards but never recovered it.
Don't know if you were holding it like a traditional rifle, cause that will make a difference. Military hold all spring guns cause of the double recoil. But PCP gun are where it's at. Lol

Sorry I meant soft copper brush. But no rifle barrels are hard. All soft. That's why it easy to machine. And what I mean by soft 40 HRc . to me harden steel is 50 HRC and above. And even harder is 60 HRC and above.. Barrels are heat treated as bar then machined.

Forgot to add this , engineering chrome is hard as hell one of the hardest substance out there. Problem with chrome it does not plate evenly in concave surfaces. So the the thickness is thinner in corners, heavier on flat surfaces. But the chrome in barrels is a thin flash plate. Eventually wears.. The other is case hardening ant it's not as hard as chrome. And it's hard at the surface.couple of mils. So that's it.

Most airgunners pull a weedwhacker line through with a patch. No brush for a lot of guys.
yes but this will not remove the lead fouling. just don't get carried away with brushing. listen when dealing with soft material use an even softer material to clean, brush or etc. dead soft material as you said will wear easily. if the the barrels on cheap pellet guns are dead soft, then just the action of pellets rifling thru the barrel at 1000 FPS will wear the barrel out fast. thus in accurate errors. its all ready dead. my suggestion is not to by these cheap $100 pellet guns. I read the reviews and a lot of these shake apart mostly. and if it is dead soft, by that it does not measure on the rockwell C scale, dead soft. some steels are supplied pre harden. but not much.

As far as cleaning goes for a pellet gun,I like to use patches only. Break barrels are very easy to clean,just be careful around the breech oring. Chances are this isn't a problem relating to a dirty barrel. It more of quality of pellets,scope or barrel is not locking tightly in breech area.

Reactions: Muledeerhunter
You check if everything tight? All nuts and bolts. Clean barrel? Damaged crown? Shooting perfect pellets vs dented? If you had a chrono you could check velocity if its consistent.

Are you sure you are shooting same distance as prior testing? Sometimes, if it has been awhile since last shooting, i remember things better than the truth. Thats why I keep old targets.

Have you started any medications that affect your heart rate, maybe tremors? Stretching but could be the issue.
Hope you find the issue.

a couple of martinis a day only

Really? I love the one I got. I was shooting rats with it in the backyard. Deadly inside 25 yards the way I had it sighted in. I did hit a squirrel at about 45 yards but never recovered it.
Don't know if you were holding it like a traditional rifle, cause that will make a difference. Military hold all spring guns cause of the double recoil. But PCP gun are where it's at. Lol

shot it like a reg rifle for as long as I had it

done all of that
Ok, so you have done everything that has been suggested above. Checked all components, cleaned thoroughly, etc, and the manufacturer can't diagnose the problem either.
Then the only thing that has changed is your couple of martinis/day. That must be the problem...either stop or increase the dosage.

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu