Pterodactyl down!

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Scouted a BMA spot that is a call in...Got the permish Tuesday...Monday it was loaded with honkers, mallards, and sandhills...As each day went by this week, there were less sandies...Yesterday, I saw a grand total of 16...It's been raining every day...S0, I'm thinking they're finding new fields...We walked the property and decided near the Missouri would be my best chance.

Ronnie and I got up early this morning, because everything is carry on, on this property...Don't want to be late for my 1st Montana sandhill opportunity... This zone (4) is a special draw and there's only 35 tags issued for 1 bird...Ronnie had bought 6 dozen Dive Bomb silhouettes for Alberta...We thought 12 would be enough, since most the birds were in small family groups or pairs.

As were driving out to the property, I started noticing lightning to the west of us...We no sooner unload and start walking out when a giant bolt goes off just behind...DAMN!...And, of course, with that lightning comes the rain and wind...No rain gear and within minutes were pretty soaked, but drudging ahead until we get to the spot...Shoot time is 6:24 am and it's now 6:10...Right on que, the wind lays down, as does the rain...Out go the dozen fakes.

The 1st birds to arrive were woodies, mallards, then honkers...No sandies in sight or heard (They're very vocal)...Then I see a 4 pack and they come in silent...They skirt the small spread and land about a 100 yds west of us...Close, but no cigar...A few minutes later we hear some coming...A visual is put on them and one splits off and comes right over me and the decoys...Down goes Frazier!...1st sandhill in the bag!!!

Soaked to the bone and happy as $hit...I love hunting...:heart:

IMG_1786.JPGIMG_1789.JPGIMG_1794.JPG

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu