Public Land First Turkey down! Finally!

msailor

Jan 30, 2014
San Diego
Saturday my hunting buddy/ shitty hunting guide could not go turkey hunting. He has been bugging me about making him duck sausage since I made a batch of snack sticks out of a deer we took off Pendelton. So we got together at my place and of course, I did most of the work while he talked to the wife. That was ok since he gave me half of the sausage. For our first time, they came out great. We did cook a test batch and it tasted great. The recipe included a little stout beer so of course, it tasted good. Now to put a batch on the Traeger.

Sunday morning we meet up early to get to our spot before first light. I have been chasing those yard birds for the last few years and I have not been the most dedicated turkey hunter but I put in my time so to speak. They were not talking this morning and we thought it would be a light hike out back to the truck. But around 0800 we swore we heard a putt behind us. So we both looked behind us and listened hard due to the lack of turkey talk. I turned back around and saw a young tom working his way towards us about 50 yards out. I whispered "turkey" to my hunting buddy/shitty hunting guide. We kept quiet as he walked towards the decoys and at about 30 yards I took the shot. Those TSS rounds did a number on him and patterning the gun at the tune-up sure helped. His beard was about 7 inches so he might be two years old? This is my first Public Land Socal bird so I have no idea. I can't thank you hard-core turkey hunting fools enough for all your help and education on here and at the tune-ups over the years.

.IMG_5833.jpgIMG_6332 - Copy.jpgIMG_6316 - Copy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet Matt congratulations on your first bird, no easy task for sure.

Reactions: msailor

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu