Put a solid one on the ground

bassin_rob

Nov 7, 2016
IMG_0966.JPG IMG_0993.JPG IMG_0981.JPG Been using this forum for 3 years now since I got my hunting license and thought it was about time I joined. This is my 3rd year deer hunting all in D16 and decided to pass on bucks this year to let em grow and get a good one. After over 60 miles hiked in the 5 days I hunted I was blessed with a good one Saturday.

Reactions: Goyaałé
Great buck for that zone. Lots of character.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Congrats, that's a good one. Hard work pays off . Love his split eye guards. How wide is he ?

18.5" wide. I loved the split eye guards as well! Never seen that on a local buck. Thanks for the good words everyone. Still can't believe I got a buck like that on public land in D16. Got one more D16 tag to go now.

Holy Cow, a case of putting in time, sweat and hard work. And it paid off. Congratulations. Nice freaking deer. Thank you for sharing. Hunting equipment ? Just don't say where you got it at.
Aka Ghost.

Winchester XPR 30-06 with a Vortex Viper 6-24x50 scope. Vortex Viper 12x50 binos.
Spotted a buck at almost 400 yards at first light on an opposite ridge walking away from me. Picked up all my gear and ran as quietly and quickly as I could that way. When I got down into the cut (the valley before the ridge the buck was on) I started glassing to keep an eye on it and it was gone. So I sat back down and started glassing more and ended up seeing 2 bucks similar same size right at the bottom of the cut. (Pretty sure one was the same deer I originally saw but not 100% sure) so I sat there and watched them but there was absolutely no way to sneak on them. They were 350 & 360 yards from me straight down a -22 degrees below me. So I contemplated taking the shot but decided to hold off because I haven't practiced down hill shots. They then started walking towards the ridge I originally was glassing on. I thought I messed up big time and was going to miss my chance. By the grace of God one buck kept walking away from me but the other one started working it's way right towards me. Ended up shooting it at 140 yards and still didn't know it was that big until I walked up next to it. I thought it was a big forky all the way until about 5 seconds before I pulled the trigger. Makes me wonder how big the other was though since it looked about the same size. All in all couldn't be more happy. I passed on 4 bucks before this including a great fork opening day that I was beginning to regret... Not anymore though.

Congrats on the beautiful buck. Nicely done with holding out for the best. Thanks for sharing the story and allowing me to visualize your hunt.

Great buck! Love the dark antlers and the split eye guards! You found a diamond right there!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu