Put a solid one on the ground

Its nice when you put in the work

and it finally pays off. Good job

way to get it done

Outstanding! Better than anything I've seen on public land in D16 and I spend a lot of days scouting and in the field during the season.

Glad you didn't have to regret passing on the forkies. In D16, I see two horns, I shoot!

Your hard work certainly paid off!

Regret it a little bit because I didn't fill my second tag but hell, I gladly would use 2 tags to get a buck like that in D16 so it's not the end of the world. Wish I could find a beast like this on public land though. Took the girlfriend to Julian today and the bucks where out and about near Cuyamaca. Saw a 7x7 Didn't know those exausted in D16 also saw a 4x3 and a ton of other great looking bucks. May be time to learn how to shed hunt.

.IMG_1098.PNG IMG_1094.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
"Saw a 7x7 Didn't know those existed in D16 also saw a 4x3 and a ton of other great looking bucks. May be time to learn how to shed hunt."

Friend did DFG deer studies in C-Park. He had some tremendous sheds.....The rumor is that back in the 20's or 30's a number of deer were brought in from the Kaibab......Hence, the larger racked bucks in the park & surrounding areas......Same gene was reportedly taken to the Guejito Ranch outside of Valley Center.

ps.......It's illegal to shed hunt in the park.

.golf tourney 11-15-10 003.JPG

"Saw a 7x7 Didn't know those existed in D16 also saw a 4x3 and a ton of other great looking bucks. May be time to learn how to shed hunt."

Friend did DFG deer studies in C-Park. He had some tremendous sheds.....The rumor is that back in the 20's or 30's a number of deer were brought in from the Kaibab......Hence, the larger racked bucks in the park & surrounding areas......Same gene was reportedly taken to the Guejito Ranch outside of Valley Center.

ps.......It's illegal to shed hunt in the park.

.View attachment 29047
Steve that is a whopper of a buck if that is D16.

That first buck in the pictures above is a beast as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Steve,

Awesome D16 buck! I fish Cuyamaca often and drool over the bucks I see.

Yours is the heaviest D16 I've seen.

6 years in the area I hunt and its only been in the last two years I've started seeing anything but forked bucks.
Last two years I've taken 3x3s and have seen several other 3x3s. Maybe some new genes are coming in?

Brad,

The fires of 2003 & 2007 were a boom to our deer herds. The calcium & nutrients the fires provided were what grows bigger & better antlers......Good genes help too......IMO the forky gene is still dominant for the most part here in SD.

That's a beauty! Big congrats!

I've seen some huge 3x3's, nice 4x4's, and one this year that would go 20 inches, but have been unable to get to them during the season. They are out there though..... ;)

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu