Quail and this years lack of rain

82toydude

Jul 28, 2013
Anyone notice a decline in quail numbers? My (neighborhood) weather station states that barely 6" of rain fell here last season. I'm afraid it's going to be more quail "hikes" than "hunts".

I've got a new spot that's loaded with quail should be a good year. I did see young ones flying late June before then just adult pairs. All on public land!

I'm going to be hitting it hard either way. If anyone wants to go with me, message me please. Still have very few hunting buddies in Cali. Would like to connect with people here. I'm in North County SD.

I've been trying to put a hurt on the yote community down here to see if it will help out the quail , taken down 6 yotes all together in our group.. I hope that helps out, but we still go out every weekend and look for yotes/jeep around, I guess only time will time.. Do you guys know how many times a year the quail have chicks?

IV, bobcats eat more birds than any other predator.......we use to trap them by hanging a single feather on some fishing line about a foot off the ground. As the feather moves from the wind the bobcats come in on a string.

Get a electric caller and use bird distress calls along with a feather on the fishing line and watch for bobcats.

Quail can have 3 hatches if the water and feed are good, my spot has had two this year.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu