Quail hunter without a dog...

2dogs1name

May 10, 2015
Corona
www.youtube.com
Yes, it's true...

I'm hoping there is an expert out there who has done this successfully and is willing to offer any suggestions. I love to hunt quail, but always had a friends dog for pointing. Thanks!

I'm no expert, but have killed a lot of quail in my life without pointing dogs.......Trust me.......Western quail aren't bobwhite!

That said, desert quail (Gambel) are many times better without dogs. Tough country with lots of cautus. They also prefer to run rather than fly. Meaning pointing dogs or dogs in general have a hard time keeping up with them.....The best part about having a dog (which I have) is finding them. Especially on multiple downed birds.....It's a good policy, if your hunting without a dog is to take birds one at a time and keeping your eye on that birds downed location. They do leave some feathers many times on impact with the ground, so you can look for them.

Also, hunting without a dog means you should slow down. After you get an initial flush, go right to that spot. There's almost always strugglers. Watch where they go and walk in slowly. Even stand around some......Birds get nervous when they know your nearby. They will flush and many times you'll actually hear the chirping sound 1st. Valley quail are very similar, but obviously live in a little different habitat.

Listening for the telltale sound of valley & desert quail (chi-COG-go)) reassembling is also a way to find them without a dog. Quail calls are cheap and many times they will answer.

Hope this helps a little........... ;)

ps.....Mt quail are normally in much smaller coveys and are many times tough to find in the higher country and high mountain willow thickets......Their call is a high whistle sound.

Attachments

• quail 2010 008.JPG
    quail 2010 008.JPG
    526.4 KB · Views: 48
  • quail 2010 015.JPG
    quail 2010 015.JPG
    815.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Desert quail 10-19-11 003.JPG
    Desert quail 10-19-11 003.JPG
    744.3 KB · Views: 50
  • last day quail....1-29-12 014.JPG
    last day quail....1-29-12 014.JPG
    744.1 KB · Views: 40
I have dog and will travel. this will be my second season with my new/current German short haired and let me tell you he loves to point.

Sprig is correct that you can kill a whole bunch of quail with out a dog. the most important thing is to get out and and hunt.

BUT.. a dog especially a god dog helps dramatically. I would love to get out and meet new people and hunt up some quail or pheasant. let me know.

ilovesprig said:
I'm no expert, but have killed a lot of quail in my life without pointing dogs.......Trust me.......Western quail aren't bobwhite!

That said, desert quail (Gambel) are many times better without dogs. Tough country with lots of cautus. They also prefer to run rather than fly. Meaning pointing dogs or dogs in general have a hard time keeping up with them.....The best part about having a dog (which I have) is finding them. Especially on multiple downed birds.....It's a good policy, if your hunting without a dog is to take birds one at a time and keeping your eye on that birds downed location. They do leave some feathers many times on impact with the ground, so you can find them.

Also, hunting without a dog means you should slow down. After you get an initial flush, go right to that spot. There's almost always strugglers. Watch where they go and walk in slowly. Even stand around some......Birds get nervous when they know your nearby. They will flush and many times you'll actually hear the chirping sound 1st. Valley quail are very similar, but obviously live in a little different habitat.

Listening for the telltale sound of valley & desert quail (chi-COG-go)) reassembling is also a way to find them without a dog. Quail calls are cheap and many times they will answer.

Hope this helps a little........... ;)

This is excellent info and very encouraging ilovesprig...thanks for this!

GSPman said:
I have dog and will travel. this will be my second season with my new/current German short haired and let me tell you he loves to point.

I would love to get out and meet new people and hunt up some quail or pheasant. let me know.

Count me in GSPman...Let's keep in touch when the season begins...

I chase quail without a dog and can tell u, if u hunt areas with steep terrain, get higher than the coveys and push em downwards into the ditches and flatter sagebrush areas. Otherwise once they flush uphill into the thick steep stuff, u might be SOL. The tough part without a dog too is recovering winged birds that take off and run into a hole somewhere.

After spending three years hunting quail without a dog I knew I had to have one. It was the best decision I have made in a very long time. Not only does he find birds but the samich muncher also is a best friend. Pointy dogs will thrill you on the point more than shooting the bird.

I've been hunting quail the better part of 15 years and sprig is right. No dog needed on valley quail. I've done tons of hunting without a dog and did just fine. Where I hunt the quail hold in big briar bushes and rock outcroppings. Without a dog, just go from briar to briar, bush to bush, rock formation to rock formation. If they hold in big bushes or briars toss a rock in the bush to get them to flush. Where a dog saves your bacon is chasing down cripples and finding downed birds. That being said, regardless of his ultimate necessity, you won't catch me dead hunting quail without my four-legged partner.

All great information. If there is one piece of advice I can give it would be to kill one bird at a time when you start. You will get caught up trying to hit multiple birds at time and will start following them. By the time you actually go to pick up your downed birds you will lose them. Once quail are hit they will flap themselves into the thickest cover possible. I lost a lot of quail when i was younger until I learned not to over shot. I wish I could mark like a dog but my nose isnt that good. So take your time and make sure to recover your game.

Moe Terboat said:
All great information. If there is one piece of advice I can give it would be to kill one bird at a time when you start. You will get caught up trying to hit multiple birds at time and will start following them. By the time you actually go to pick up your downed birds you will lose them. Once quail are hit they will flap themselves into the thickest cover possible. I lost a lot of quail when i was younger until I learned not to over shot. I wish I could mark like a dog but my nose isnt that good. So take your time and make sure to recover your game.

Sage advice. Without a dog, one at a time. Especially if they are crippled. If they right themselves and run, you are hosed. They inevitably find the biggest briar and go in deep. If you hunt where there are briars, not even a dog will go in after them. Can't say I blame em. I wouldn't go into a thorny bush, nose first.

I hunted last winter every weekend east of phoenix and in patagonia, drove there every weekend from here in orange county. After learning a lot, and being dogless, I will be attempting to go out here for my first time, so any guys that are newish or veterans that like to pass on their knowledge, I am more than up for it. 6 weekends of quail hunting and I am truly addicted.

I've shot limits without a dog but I lose a lot more than I do now that I have a dog

kylemg0009 said:
I hunted last winter every weekend east of phoenix and in patagonia, drove there every weekend from here in orange county. After learning a lot, and being dogless, I will be attempting to go out here for my first time, so any guys that are newish or veterans that like to pass on their knowledge, I am more than up for it. 6 weekends of quail hunting and I am truly addicted.

as Sdbirds mentioned u don't really need a dog for quail but depending on how Bushy the area is u will loose quite a few if they don't hit the ground dead..

I don't have a dog either and tend to do alright without it, except for this past year which was just the worst i seen for quail hunting ever in the usual areas i like to hunt that are near by.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu