Quail in the rain

Suburban Adventuress said:
You ever watch the cougar-hunter Rich on Mountain Men? That guy uses only beagles I believe... great dogs!

My uncle in Oregon was beagle man......Many a great morning chasing fox, coon, and coyotes with his pack of beagles......There's nothing like them dogs balling and howling on a hot trail.

OK......One more story about Mike the Dog......My dad and I were hunting pheasant in what used to be called Dairy Valley. Now named Cerritos. Dairy Valley in 1965 was about 9 miles west of Disneyland.....The area was loaded with farm land, dairies, and tomato fields......This would be Mike's 1st hunt and he was just a puppy (maybe 20 lbs). We started into a tomato field when we flushed a big rooster.....We both shoot, but only broke a wing and the bird hit the ground running. It was also foggy. So, off Mike runs and we lose sight of both.....We keep walking and are now wondering what happened to Mike.....As we got about a 100 yds away. Here's Mike dragging that big rooster by one wing......Poor little guy couldn't lift him, but he wasn't letting go.....That was the start of 10 years of great upland hunts with Ol' Mike.

This pic is from 1962 with my 1st rooster from the same area...... ;D

Attachments

• 1st rooster 1962[1].jpg
    1st rooster 1962[1].jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 122
Nice pic Steve!

The dogs on Mt. Men are a Tennessee tree walker they are a coonhound but are used on everything

http://m.dogbreedinfo.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dogbreedinfo.com%2Ftreeingwalkercoonhound.htm#2849

ilovesprig said:
Kellen,

Great pix and report........For whatever reason that chain link fence just looks out of place in the 1st pic........lol

Agreed. I had never hunted that spot before, my buddy wanted to check it out. I'm sure it replaced some old barb-wire fence that would have blended right in.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu