Question about Conservation Groups

Dwikkles

May 21, 2012
San Diego
Does anyone have any insight as to what kind of work some of these groups have done/are doing? Im looking to put my money in to a conservation effort that actually does something with it that makes a difference. I already know RMEF and NWTF are good organizations and am a member of those. But I want to support something more local to us thats worthwhile. That puts in work where I hunt.

-California Deer Association
-California Bowmen Hunters
-Mule Deer Foundation

Any other suggestions?

I you are a waterfowler the California waterfowl association is good one to get involved with. They do a lot of work towards upgrading, maintaining hunting preserves and pushing the agenda of hunters.
Thats good to know. I've been meaning to get in to waterfowl hunting

For my money CWA is the best at what they do for Californians...They're political, but yet do tons of work on wildlife areas & refuges.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Quail Forever does most, if not all of the guzzler maintenance here in SD County and always needs young guys to help out with the concrete, digging, and patching work.
I'm glad you said that I didnt know anything about that. Might be good to get my son involved in as well. I didnt even know they had a chapter here. Thanks

What do they do? What kind of work have they done here in SoCal? Is it just stuff in the desert for the sheep?
Build guzzlers (with volunteer work), supply water to guzzlers (air and ground) a big part of the reason we have more tags this year is because of the wild sheep foundation (California chapter)

Reactions: Dwikkles
Thanks for the input guys. Does anyone know what CDA has done in the state to promote better deer populations and preserve our right and access to hunt them? Curious.

There is also BHA they fight to keep public land opened up and work on expanding hunting land as well as get more hunts and different hunts opened up.

Reactions: Geappetto Hunts
California Bowmen Hunters does not do any boots on the ground conservation work. They do work to organize and protect archery and bowhunting in California. They have a legislative team (with funding) that works directly with CFW to protect and preserve bowhunting opportunities in California. They were involved in the losing battle to protect bobcat hunting. They are responsible for getting archery antelope and elk seasons. If you bowhunt in California and are not a member... I say shame on you. There is a list of accomplishments on their web site. Ed F

Nice thread, in addition to money it'd be nice to find a good group to volunteer time for as well.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu