Question about D16

Geappetto Hunts

Oct 12, 2019
OCEANSIDE
Howka SCH Group,

I'm new to the site and actually found out about it watching a Bow Desciples podcast with Travis Bowman. The content and discussions on this site are awesome! It's great to read info on hunts in California, let alone my backyard San Diego.

My question is about Palomar Mountain. Is that area archery only? Can you hunt the area with a rifle?

I've been hunting for 2yrs and haven't had any success yet in D16 with mule deer, so looking for a new area to check out. I took a week off of work to hunt and want to give PM a shot towards the end of the week if I'm unsuccessful in my planned spots.

My buddy, or should I say mentor, who got me into hunting moved out of state to Montana so I'm now left to find things out myself. Which I am perfectly fine with. Very glad to have found this site and happy to be part of the community now. If anyone is looking to teach a new kid the ropes, please reach out. I'm willing to listen, take notes, and help anyway I can with anything in exchange for advice.

I'm an avid fisherman and got into backpacking 7yrs ago to fish some of the remote lakes in NorCal. Hunting seemed right up my alley and have enjoyed it ever since!

Last yr, I got my cross hairs on what I thought was a doe, chambered a round, took the safety off and moved my finger towards the trigger. Decided to look this animal in the face before took the shot and saw that it had 2 baby antlers growing in. I took my finger off the trigger and put the safety back on, stood up and said "Thanks". It was the last day of the season and sun was going down. I walked away back to my truck, hands still shaking from the adrenaline with a huge smile on my face. That feeling alone has me determined to be successful at some point.

Any feedback here is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
Are those actually mule deer in D16? Asking for a friend.

Reactions: D_unit760
Welcome to the site! Lots of good guys here, I have hunted with quite a few of them and learned something from each. I know a spot in the area, cant tell you about it but will show you. Send me a DM if interested.

Reactions: Geappetto Hunts
I don’t know anything about hunting D16 but thats good to know that you’re into backpacking, I might have some questions if I decide to backpack into D14. I had the same thing happen to me last weekend, had a spike in the crosshairs twice, it sure is a rush when they’re looking straight at you and you can’t tell if they have forks.

Welcome to the site! Lots of good guys here, I have hunted with quite a few of them and learned something from each. I know a spot in the area, cant tell you about it but will show you. Send me a DM if interested.
TrapLine,

Thanks for the response! I'm definitely trying to be a sponge and soak up as much info/advice that anybody is willing to share. I would definitely welcome an invite should I be so lucky.

I would definitely be interested in seeing your spot if you're willing to share it with me. I will DM you.

Thanks again!

I don’t know anything about hunting D16 but thats good to know that you’re into backpacking, I might have some questions if I decide to backpack into D14. I had the same thing happen to me last weekend, had a spike in the crosshairs twice, it sure is a rush when they’re looking straight at you and you can’t tell if they have forks.
Hunter527,
I'm glad you can relate! It's definitely a rush and a cool experience!

Feel free to reach on with any questions regarding backpacking. Im happy to give you answer any questions you have man!

Rifles are allowed on Palomar. Steep country up there it’s a fun area to hunt.
Truduct,

Thanks for the information! Definitely good to know. I'm going to give it a shot this season. At some point I'm going to invest in some trail cams so I have some idea if the area I'm looking at is dead or has movement through it before I hike all the way in.

When you are thinking Palomar don’t overlook the East side desert off the 79. There are seasonal creeks running through there which make it idea habitat for desert muleys. But it’s also big country so get up on a knoll or boulder and glass, glass, glass.
It’s great you have the week off. Mid-week (and even mid-day) hunts can be very productive.

When you are thinking Palomar don’t overlook the East side desert off the 79. There are seasonal creeks running through there which make it idea habitat for desert muleys. But it’s also big country so get up on a knoll or boulder and glass, glass, glass.
It’s great you have the week off. Mid-week (and even mid-day) hunts can be very productive.
DanSanDiego,

Thanks for that advice! I glanced over the area and probably would have avoided it. Not anymore!

Thanks again! Much appreciated!!

Just don't hunt the state park. Believe it or not I talked to some guys the other day that thought you could..
SurfNHuntSD,

Thanks for the info! I will definitely be avoiding the state park at all costs.

I am relying on OnX app to find public land. I feel it's a pretty trust worthy app but I guess you never know.

Thanks again for the advice!

Palomar is steep and deep and with heavy cover. some areas have not burned in two hundred years. I have hunted off and on since the early eighties you must get boots on the ground to gain knowledge .
Snake Charmer,

I appreciate the info about the area. Will definitely be putting in some time in the area to get a better idea of the area and look for signs of traffic.

In your experience, does the area get a lot of pressure? I know other areas in SD are pretty busy during the season.

Thanks for your response!

Lots of good deer and turkey in there. Not to mention the private around it is loaded with bucks. Phillip Rivers has a big property right by the park.
Truduct,

Good to know! Was thinking about trying my luck at spring birds this season if I don't go out of state to hunt them.

Had no idea Rivers had property out there. That's pretty cool information!

Snake Charmer,

I appreciate the info about the area. Will definitely be putting in some time in the area to get a better idea of the area and look for signs of traffic.

In your experience, does the area get a lot of pressure? I know other areas in SD are pretty busy during the season.

Thanks for your response!
3,000 tags in D16 you will not be able to escape people. Just get out and see what happens. Honestly I never stop scouting for deer season.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu