Question About Reading Forrest Service Map.

Gcddarren

Sep 23, 2014
Went out to hunt some land that was legal according to the National Forrest map I purchased, but there is a cattle fence around the area. Am I allowed to hop this fence and hunt the area? My friend was telling me those fences are just county fences to keep the cattle off the road, is this true? What do I need to know? If someone questions me and I show them that I was in a legal spot will I be ok?I just dont want a ticket and dont want to get shot at.

If the map shows public land, then It probably is, there are a ton of cattle fences on public land. To be 100% sure, you should call your local forest service officer

Yes, either talk to the Rangers or get a device that shows you property lines and boundaries. I'll get you a link to discussion about the options. Paper topo maps aren't detailed enough for you to be sure where you are.

This thread actually links to an earlier discussion as well.
http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php?topic=5812
One additional thing I found hunting WY Miley's this year is that the refresh rate on the Trimble app varies with cell service, while Harmon is pretty steady. Point is tha if you are covering ground by motorized vehicle, Trimble won't keep up with you. GPS device wins in that circumstance. Trimble is great, but only if you are on foot.

If I may add to gcdarren's question... if its leasehold land on CNF like cattle grazing land, with low fences but not posted with any 'no trespassing' signs, could u hunt it? Or is that basically like trespassing on private land?

It is still CNF land just because there is a grazing lease taken out on the section of land doesn't lock it up from other uses. Just don't go hunting for cattle..... just saying.

Lots of fenced CNF areas in and around Boulder Creek & Eagle Peak Rds.......These were owned by private individuals and the fences were never taken down......In fact, till recently, much was still posted with their signs, despite being owned by me and you.

Usually Forestry service fences don't have barbs; private land do to keep cattle away. The forestry service is looking to keep ATV'ers out.

motorhead said:
It is still CNF land just because there is a grazing lease taken out on the section of land doesn't lock it up from other uses. Just don't go hunting for cattle..... just saying.
This is my understanding as well. I can't find anything specific regarding this in California, but Wyoming has some great documentation on privately leased land withing NF and BLM boundaries. My understanding is that the fenced land must be posted "no hunting" with "reasonable" frequency for you to see the signs. The Wyoming public land access document goes on to say that established roads (those which are graded and obviously used frequently by vehicles) which are not gated and posted are considered "easements" for legal access to otherwise isolated public lands.
Other comments? Do these principles hold in California?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu