Question for you rifle experts

Shadowlawnskysthelimit

Mar 5, 2021
Question is :
Can you shoot .223 caliber ammo in a .224 caliber Weatherby Varmitmaster ?
I’ve heard that .224 Weatherby ammo was proprietary to Weatherby and that due to a collar on the casing you can’t shoot . 223 ammo without damaging
gun ?

Question is :
Can you shoot .223 caliber ammo in a .224 caliber Weatherby Varmitmaster ?
I’ve heard that .224 Weatherby ammo was proprietary to Weatherby and that due to a collar on the casing you can’t shoot . 223 ammo without damaging
gun ?
The two cartridges are not even close. I've owned both, shot a ton with them, handloaded, the whole deal. The .223 will chamber in the .224, but that is where the danger lies. Go to Wikipedia and enter each cartridge. Then look at the base diameter [.376 for 223, .415 for the 224]. Then check the rim diameter [.378 and .430]. You'll get a face full of gas if you put a .223 in the Weatherby. Then check the case length, because if you somehow stuck a .223 in a .224, that's what will result in a major headspace problem. .223 case length is 1.76 inches and the .224 1.92. The 223 will wobble in the .224 chamber, sideways and back and forth. I'm willing to bet that you can't shoot 3 or 4 .223's in a Weatherby without removing your face or blowing up the gun.

• Wow
Reactions: ilovesprig
The two cartridges are not even close. I've owned both, shot a ton with them, handloaded, the whole deal. The .223 will chamber in the .224, but that is where the danger lies. Go to Wikipedia and enter each cartridge. Then look at the base diameter [.376 for 223, .415 for the 224]. Then check the rim diameter [.378 and .430]. You'll get a face full of gas if you put a .223 in the Weatherby. Then check the case length, because if you somehow stuck a .223 in a .224, that's what will result in a major headspace problem. .223 case length is 1.76 inches and the .224 1.92. The 223 will wobble in the .224 chamber, sideways and back and forth. I'm willing to bet that you can't shoot 3 or 4 .223's in a Weatherby without removing your face or blowing up the gun.

Kevin,

In other words....DON'T DO IT!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu