Question on deer hunting regs.

BuckHunter

“Venison” It’s what’s for dinner!
Feb 3, 2011
My daughter will be 13 years old by deer season, and will have a D11 tag this year for her first big game hunt where she is the hunter. I don’t know who is more excited, her or me. I will be putting her in a treestand where I shot 4 bucks over the years and my wife shot a doe. Most hunts it will be just me not hunting and her with her rifle. The stand is big enough for two people. My wife will have a A31 archery only either sex tag for the same zone and wants to share a special girl hunt together during the time the two seasons overlap.

Question on the law.

Can my wife hunt an archery only A31 tag looking for a doe while with my 13 year old daughter that has a rifle and is looking for a buck? If a buck comes in my daughter gets the shot with her rifle. ( She has dibs) If only a doe comes in my wife gets the shot with her bow.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Yes she put in for J13 but with no points she may only get the D11. Fingers are crossed.

Reactions: stikbrandon
Did your wife already receive her A31 tag? I've checked every day since Wed and draws are still pending

DRAWING RESULTS The CDFW has 10 business days after the deadline to conduct the drawing. Applicants may look up their drawing results on or around June 17, 2020 by entering their customer information on CDFW’s website at www.ca.wildlifelicense.com/InternetSales and click on “View My Draw Application/Preference Points” at the top of the page. Applicants will also see their new preference point totals by clicking on the tab “Preference Point.” On the same day, drawing results will be available by phone during regular business hours from CDFW license sales offices.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Thanks IVhunter...but I'm aware of the regs. However, OP stated, "My wife will have a A31 archery only either sex tag". Not sure if that meant his wife already received her draw results and he was just waiting to receive the hard tag. I'm checking every day and mine are still pending....

Thanks IVhunter...but I'm aware of the regs. However, OP stated, "My wife will have a A31 archery only either sex tag". Not sure if that meant his wife already received her draw results and he was just waiting to receive the hard tag. I'm checking every day and mine are still pending....

At the time of the original post my wife did not have a A31 tag but I was assuming she would get it. Draw results are out now and she did get a A31.

Another question for the masses. If I have a general rifle tag for a So Cal D zone, can I use that tag, i.e., D19, and use it for archery season (AO in Sept.) to bow hunt in D19? As long as I use a bow, in the zone of my general tag, is that okay?

Another question for the masses. If I have a general rifle tag for a So Cal D zone, can I use that tag, i.e., D19, and use it for archery season (AO in Sept.) to bow hunt in D19? As long as I use a bow, in the zone of my general tag, is that okay?

Yes. If you have a D zone or other general season tag you can hunt a buck with a bow during archery season or use a bow or rifle during rifle season.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu