Question

CaliCreole

Oct 26, 2011
Riverside, CA
Hoping someone can help me with a question.
I have permission to hunt a friends property, he has an apple farm. We have seen deer moving in to where they dump the left over apples after pressing the fruit for juice. Would this be considered hunting over bait? if so how far do i have to be away from this?

Hoping someone can help me with a question.
I have permission to hunt a friends property, he has an apple farm. We have seen deer moving in to where they dump the left over apples after pressing the fruit for juice. Would this be considered hunting over bait? if so how far do i have to be away from this?
I think your post answers your own question. Any warden would jump on this calling it a grey area. Even though not deliberately doing such a thing for the deer, they are using it.

I would definitely err on the side of caution.

Do you have the local wardens number? I always keep my local warden and the warden where I am hunting cell phone numbers. I would call them and get their thoughts.

Trig (ilovesprig) may have some insight to hunting apple orchards. I know that some do exist around SD county.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I think your post answers your own question. Any warden would jump on this calling it a grey area. Even though not deliberately doing such a thing for the deer, they are using it.

I would definitely err on the side of caution.

Do you have the local wardens number? I always keep my local warden and the warden where I am hunting cell phone numbers. I would call them and get their thoughts.

Trig (ilovesprig) may have some insight to hunting apple orchards. I know that some do exist around SD county.

I do not have is number where can i get that information i just moved here and am not used to hunting this area.

correct me if I'm wrong...but can't warden really only show up to private land if they are called and granted permission to search the premises??

this would be the same thing as a cop entering your home without you knowing because they think you're doing something wrong...

correct me if I'm wrong...but can't warden really only show up to private land if they are called and granted permission to search the premises??

this would be the same thing as a cop entering your home without you knowing because they think you're doing something wrong...
NO IT IS NOT!!

... and I don't mean to yell, but do want that comment to stick.

The wild animals that inhabit the state are property of all of the residents of said state. Fish and wildlife officers have the authority to cross private land in order to protect wildlife.

A fish and wildlife officer can also search your vehicle just because you are out hunting.

They do have more authority than your local LEO or sherriff.

I do not have is number where can i get that information i just moved here and am not used to hunting this area.
Call your local fish and wildlife office. They should know the warden that would service a general area.

thanks guys, how far would be a safe distance? the property is 220 acres and the apple leftovers are near the barn so would be a minimum of 150 yards from there anyway.

You better have me come help you hunt it :)

Just a FYI wardens can search your car if you are out hunting. They can search you if you are out hunting. They can force you to produce the skull cap of any deer you shoot doe or buck during the season and 14days after( yes you need to save the doe skull caps) they can not enter you home with out a warrant or your permission.

here is the actual code, so if they are placed there as a result of the agg process then good to go but Mr green Jeans might say they were just dumped there and here is a fine... i second the need to contact DFG

§257.5. Prohibition Against Taking Resident Game Birds and Mammals by the Aid of Bait.

Except as otherwise provided in these regulations or in the Fish and Game Code, resident game birds and mammals may not be taken within 400 yards of any baited area.

• (a) Definition of Baited Area. As used in this regulation, "baited area" shall mean any area where shelled, shucked or unshucked corn, wheat or other grains, salt, or other feed whatsoever capable of luring, attracting, or enticing such birds or mammals is directly or indirectly placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered, and such area shall remain a baited area for ten days following complete removal
  • (b) Exceptions:
    • (1) The taking of domestically reared and released game birds on licensed pheasant clubs and other licensed game bird clubs;
    • (2) The taking of resident game birds and mammals on or over standing crops, flooded standing crops (including aquatics), flooded harvested croplands, grain crops properly shocked on the field where grown, or grains found scattered solely as the result of normal agricultural planting or harvesting;
    • (3) The taking of resident game birds and mammals on or over any lands where shelled, shucked or unshucked corn, wheat or other grain, salt, or other feed have been distributed or scattered as the result of bona fide agricultural operations or procedures, or as a result of manipulation of a crop or other feed on the land where grown for wildlife management purposes: provided that manipulation for wildlife management purposes does not include the distributing or scattering of grain or other feed once it has been removed from or stored on the field where grown

As stated above, wardens have power that no other law enforcement officer has, including going into private property, if they think a F & W law is being broken.....That being said and the fact this spot sounds like the apples are used or a part of a commercial operation, you would be OK to hunt there....JUST MY OPIONION....Not really much different than the grain piles in the IV that are dropped as part of the operation in grain plants.....I would advice, as many have stated, that I would get a judgement before hunting near this area.....Pretty grey for sure.....And yes, I do hunt apple & pear orchards. The biggest difference is the fruit on these trees grow wild, are not picked, and fall off trees naturally......2 cents

If you will PM me, I will give you the appropriate wardens phone numbers.

Damn Steve, I would be picking those fruits for my midday snack...

Nick,

I do pick a few to eat.......Pears are the best & sweetest ever.......:yum

The problem now with much of the fruit is the drought & heat have been so bad, that they literally dry up on the tree.....Not fit for man or beast when they fall......:confused:

Last edited:
I put the range finder on it last night and i will be about 600-800 yards from the apple pile i found a little hollar where the deer are funneling in so my plan is to sit on top and ambush.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu