questoin about hunting San Jacinto

Gspman

Dec 2, 2014
North LA county
Hello all,
Please excuse the possibly stupid question. This will be my familys first season duck hunting at a refuge. i know we need to be at San J By 3 am. Im ALWAYS early every where i go so im planning on being there in the parking lot by 2:30 at the latest. since friday is a work day can i just drive out friday night and tow my trailer and sleep in it? if not trailer can i drive out friday night and sleep in the truck? getting home after a long day at work friday, packing showering eating getting to bed ASAP then not sleeping much then hitting the road by 1AM then hunting all day and hitting the road again is not my idea of fun. All my usual hunts are atleast 2 day hunts where im camping, either under the stars on the ground or in my trailer, or in a hotel then getting up early ......\
if we can atleast sleep in the truck are the bathrooms open?

Doug,

There's no camping allowed at San J......I've slept in line before, but got there after midnight.....The bathrooms to my knowledge are open, but are behind the locked gate.....So, no access.....This is the toughest part about hunting San J.....We get up super early to be there by 2:45 am.

My suggestion is go out and check the place out 1st.....Did you go to the work party?

ps......There are no stupid questions...... ;)

we went to the work party. it was great to check everything out and meet a bunch of great guys. so basically ive got to go to bed when the sun is still up and head out early and thats that? :'( I dont like operating on zero sleep. I did enough of that in my past but heck im not that old.

thanks for the fast response Steve. I was just reading some of your posts on another forum from 2011 on changing some of the blinds.

Doug,

Really Wister isn't much better.....You get out there late on Tuesday or Friday (when I was working... ;)).....Guys are around the campfire. So, you don't get to bed till 10:30 pm. Then you decide to check to see how you did in the sweat line draw. Now it's 11:00 pm. Then you get up at 2:30 am.....Hunt all day in the hot sun.....Then drive back home.....It's a miracle I've lived this long...... :D

Dang!......Can't wait for the season to start....... ;)

If getting there early and camping is better for you than driving at night you could camp at Lake Perris. Maybe even fish the evening before. There is also an RV type camping place on Ramona expressway.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

that might be an option thanks i could get in ASAP and set up the trailer and get some sleep then get up only an hour early instead of 2 1/2!!!!

nicapopolis said:
If getting there early and camping is better for you than driving at night you could camp at Lake Perris. Maybe even fish the evening before. There is also an RV type camping place on Ramona expressway.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I did that one time but, at least at that time, at the time you'd have to leave to check in at SJ they only let you out the north side and since the north end of Davis Rd. is closed it takes like a half hour to drive around (at least it seemed like it) to the other end of Davis Rd. In my case I can drive from home in an hour and fifteen minutes so I'd rather just sleep in my comfortable bed at home. Of course, since I work odd hours I can sleep almost any time of the day or night so it's not really a problem to go to bed at like 7 pm and get up in time to drive in from home. If you live further out it would probably be worth it though. But, be careful, as I understand it you're not allowed to have firearms at Lake Perris except for the upland area (again, from back when I camped there several year ago) so the rangers might be a problem for you.

Again, this is old info so you might want to check it out and see.

That RV place is like 10 minutes or so from Davis rd. so that might be a better option if the traffic noise on Ramona Expressway don't keep you awake since its right next to the road.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu