Quick Jackrabbit Hunt

Big Jim Slade

Oct 7, 2020
Bullhead City AZ
I am very fortunate to live about 5 minutes from an upland game honey hole.
About 24 thousand acres of good BLM land that is adjacent to the San Bernardino National Forest.
I got a late start to my day, arrived to the hunt area around 11:30 am. I've been trying to get my good friend Mike into hunting and he was able to walk along with me. I kinda wanted to show him that hunting doesn't have to be a multi day or even a full day endeavor. He's a busy guy with work and kids.
5 minutes of walking and we kicked up the first Jack. I got a shot off and missed. Typical.
About 10 minutes later we kicked another out and I got that one.
We walked and jumped up another half dozen jacks and a couple cottontails (not in season, darn) along with 3 coveys of quail and a few singles (darn again). We saw a coyote doing the same thing we were doing, chasing rabbits around the desert. Healthy looking dog with a very nice coat. I almost took a shot at him but didn't. He was kinda far and steel #6 just wouldn't do the job.
I got a couple more shots off at jackrabbits and missed. Typical.
We were home with one Jack and enjoying a cold beverage before 1:00 pm.IMG_8487.jpg
Love that Browning 20...

Nice! I need to find a hunting spot for jackrabbits. Want to introduce my son to hunting with them,
OnX is your friend. Jackrabbits are all over the desert. Just like any animal on land or in water they will be found by shelter, food and water.
Unlike other game, they aren't as water dependent. They will get what they need in the vegetation they eat. So they can be found in very dry places.
Washes and changes in terrain with heavier vegetation will be more productive than wide open flats. Grasses, dry or green are kinda key too. All rabbits feed off grass and grass seed. Jacks will eat bark off woody brush too.
Look for the sign. Poop, track, chewed bush and flattened grass patches.
Once you know what to look for they're not too hard to find.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu