Quick Limit

OCOutdoors said:
Seems you found a honey hole.

This spot has always been a good producer for me. These last two times out have been better than normal though. Probably going to get fenced off in the near future. Lots of big rigs in the area and the sheep herder is coming through to clear out the veg. Gotta get it in while I can. If it does, I'll post the spot so you can see how the place is.

8SteelTown said:
OCOutdoors said:
Seems you found a honey hole.

This spot has always been a good producer for me. These last two times out have been better than normal though. Probably going to get fenced off in the near future. Lots of big rigs in the area and the sheep herder is coming through to clear out the veg. Gotta get it in while I can. If it does, I'll post the spot so you can see how the place is.

Its so good there because I'm putting so much pressure on the doves around your area !......
I'll leave it at that !

Can't help it tho my 20g is a magnet for them F-22 raptors!

Got to tip my hat too 8steel he's the guy that taught me the basics for smashing dove !

Nice take - those all mourning doves? Too bad there weren't Eurasian, you could've taken a hundred. ;)

I was there yesterday too but without luck. Your spot sounds sweet. I saw an enormous group of doves - mostly Eurasian - but they were hanging out at a cattle farm and not huntable land that I know of - buildings too close to surrounding fields on every corner. The doves were just staring at me smugly. The spot I've used before is nice but there was NO dove action - only curlews and another little light-bellied songbird that kind of looks like dove in flight.

I'll get them next time!

Suburban Adventuress said:
Nice take - those all mourning doves? Too bad there weren't Eurasian, you could've taken a hundred. ;)

I was there yesterday too but without luck. Your spot sounds sweet. I saw an enormous group of doves - mostly Eurasian - but they were hanging out at a cattle farm and not huntable land that I know of - buildings too close to surrounding fields on every corner. The doves were just staring at me smugly. The spot I've used before is nice but there was NO dove action - only curlews and another little light-bellied songbird that kind of looks like dove in flight.

I'll get them next time!

Sorry for the late reply. Yeah, they were all mournings. I've only seen 1 Euro up by me since I've been bird hunting and not sure if he flew the short bus to work but he came in at about 20 feet high like a 787, just cruising, not worried about anything till I dropped him at my feet. Wish there were more up here.

Went out Saturday a.m. & p.m. as well as Sunday morning. The wind was RIPPING up here and NOTHING was flying. Nothing on the power lines either. Both days I had a small group of 3-5 that were feeding in the fields but they were flushing way far out. 1st time I've gotten down and military crawled to get into range for dove. Got a double on Saturday and a single on Sunday. Also got a huge Blacktail Jack... must've been ~10 pounds... big 'ol girl.

Anyone have similar experiences with zero activity after high winds? I was thinking Sunday a.m. would be good since the high winds Saturday kept anything from flying, but there was nothing for the 48 hour span...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu