Rabbit recipes

far as rabbit territory. look at high desert, low vegetation, with open areas, early morning and late after noon's.
cotton tails will be in their holes midday hiding from the heat.
for public land I prefer a shotgun because they are more skittish, and will be on the run. and don't stop.
either way walk and stalk slowly, cotton tails will run in circle and double back, jacks will just keep running.
on my private property, are not use to being hunted, a 22LR does the job.

because rabbit is so lean I like it this way, my favorite.
quartered
cleaned and soaked in brine 24 hours in the fridge.
cut to small portions
add potatoes, onions, carrots , celery, and cabbage, (your taste will very)
spices
add broth (beef or chicken)
throw in a crock pot cook all day

and also killed our eighth rattle snake 2 days ago, wear snake gaiters, they are out. and sometimes hard to see. blend in to the terrain.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
far as rabbit territory. look at high desert, low vegetation, with open areas, early morning and late after noon's.
cotton tails will be in their holes midday hiding from the heat.
for public land I prefer a shotgun because they are more skittish, and will be on the run. and don't stop.
either way walk and stalk slowly, cotton tails will run in circle and double back, jacks will just keep running.
on my private property, are not use to being hunted, a 22LR does the job.

because rabbit is so lean I like it this way, my favorite.
quartered
cleaned and soaked in brine 24 hours in the fridge.
cut to small portions
add potatoes, onions, carrots , celery, and cabbage, (your taste will very)
spices
add broth (beef or chicken)
throw in a crock pot cook all day

and also killed our eighth rattle snake 2 days ago, wear snake gaiters, they are out. and sometimes hard to see. blend in to the terrain.
Good advice Lee. Walk slowly and stop every now and then is a good way to kick em up. They'll hide when they hear you, and if you move too quickly they'll often stay put or flush without you seeing. But for whatever reason, if you walk slow and stop at times, they freak out and bolt, giving you a decent running shot. I do prefer sniping them with a 17 or 22 in open terrain, but as Lee said, it's gotten so thick out there that a shotgun is what I've been using.

Will be hunting MCC properties for cottontails starting July 1. Need some advice on which zones [generally speaking] are good producers, whether morning or evening is best, how far are the shots [use scoped 22 or light shotgun?], what vegetation areas produce, should I look for a water source since I often see rabbits coming down to drink in the evening, rattlesnake chaps?, and most importantly, what are some favorite recipes? Haven't hunted bunnies for 16 or 17 years. Mahalo.

Cook it like chicken, just not as long, it’s great eats, just gut them right after shooting and get them cooled as soon as possible. Also soak them in the refer in salt water over night, also stew them on low heat with potatoes, onions and carrots for about 1/12 hrs

Conejo Colorado
2 or 3 rabbits, quarters and back straps
2 packs of whole dried red peppers
Onion, 1 small to 1 large depending on your taste
5 to 10 cloves of garlic depending on your taste
Dried oregano to taste (1 to 3 tsp)
Dried thyme to taste (1 to 3 tsp)
Salt
Pepper
1 table spoon chicken bouillon
4 to 6 cups of water

Clean the seeds and stem ends off the dried pepper pods and layer them into a crock pot
Layer the rabbit over the peppers
Add herbs, onions, garlic, salt, pepper and sprinkle the bouillon over the rabbit.
I crush the garlic but chopping it probably works too.
Add in 1 cup of water.

Cook on high in the crock pot for 2 to 4 hours until the rabbit is fork tender.
Remove the rabbit pieces and let cool down to remove the bones. Also this is a good time to make sure all your shot is out.
While the meat is cooling, run an immersion blender through the pepper stock in the crock pot. You will need to add water more than likely. I usually have to add about 3 cups.
Once everything is blended and you have a nice red sauce strain it through a wire mesh strainer to remove the dried pepper skin. If you don't do this you'll end up with something that is very much like plastic pieces throughout your sauce.
Put the meat chunks back in the sauce and bring it back up to temperature.

Serve with rice,beans and tortillas.
A nice cold adult beverage on the side is always a nice addition!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu