Rabbits

longbowhunter2

Oct 16, 2013
on the mountain
went out yesterday (8-2-14) at five in the morning with Air Rifle. he was the host I was the guest I used my wifes old 22 semi Marlin with open sights.
and Air Rifle used his 25 cal air rifle. started out good . Sorry I have no pics so you all will have to trust me.
headed out to east county hahahaha It was heavy over cast with light rain then turned into lighting & thunder with heavy rain.
it was difficult to see because of the dark cloud cover.
AirRifle managed to take a jack & a small bunny, I was un able to score I missed at 2 jacks & 1 bunny.
it was was fun stalking the jacks. I just missed not trice but three times. I need to check the gun sights on that old 22
hahahaha but no excuses a miss is a miss.
then the rain and lighten was on top of us so called our hunt short.

so we made a move to a new area I knew about, but it was unproductive.
so we basically had a nice walk.

We both enjoyed the morning and had a great time getting out.
even thou I did not score on some rabbits I had great time

I want to thank air rifle(Ray) for taking the time and hunting together.
I enjoyed every minute of being out doors. Ray is a great guy and a very good shot.
excellent hunter. Ray's kindly offered me the Rabbits so I will make rabbit stew.

Thank You Ray for the rabbits

Ghost(Lee)

Lee - you now the SCH rule...no pics and its all just hearsay! ;D

sounds like a good job ghost.

I did not get any pictures either. i feel yea.

I also got out for some rabbit today. I woke up my 3 kids at 0400, loaded the truck and headed out for the 1.5 hr drive to the closest hunting grounds. hit some light on on the I5 around castaic. But we continued. hit the dirt road and hunting area by 05:45 light rain and 65deg. My 11 yr old daughter is the only one that to brought a jacket. so me and the boys walked in the mist. then she tells me she does not want to hunt today so i lock her shotty back up and hand her the bino's she saiys in a snotty voice "thanks DAD"

we saw a lot more then we saw 3 weeks ago and the weather other then rain was just about perfect and a great escape from the 90+ we have had. wound up shooting a jack and a cotton (long shots about 45 yards) both on the small side. I reach for the camera and realize my wife usually packs the camera.... ooops. she recently fractured her foot while traning our dog. she was up for some dove hunting last week in the IV but rabbit requires much more walking so she stayed home and slept in. we drive around some more and about 10 the kids say " whens lunch so i pull over and... OOOPS again no lunch its in the fridge at home (wife usually packs it) so i break out the cliff bars after some whinning (since thats what they had for breakfast) we roll on. the rain comes in the wind comes up and the temp drops to 58 so we hit the road by 11. sorry no picts but a great day with the kids.

I dont have any picts either. SInce my wife fractured her foot she usually handles the camera packing, heck we even forgot lunch today. We ate Cliff bars for lunch and breakfast.
But.. i took the 3 kids out today for a rabbit hunt also my daughter 11 did not even feel like carrying the gun so she was on glass duty. We found a few got, rained on the whole day and got a break from the heat. it was 65 and rainy in the los padres. i got a jack and a cotton kinda on the small side.

uplandfam said:
sounds like a good job ghost.

I did not get any pictures either. i feel yea.

I also got out for some rabbit today. I woke up my 3 kids at 0400, loaded the truck and headed out for the 1.5 hr drive to the closest hunting grounds. hit some light on on the I5 around castaic. But we continued. hit the dirt road and hunting area by 05:45 light rain and 65deg. My 11 yr old daughter is the only one that to brought a jacket. so me and the boys walked in the mist. then she tells me she does not want to hunt today so i lock her shotty back up and hand her the bino's she saiys in a snotty voice "thanks DAD"

we saw a lot more then we saw 3 weeks ago and the weather other then rain was just about perfect and a great escape from the 90+ we have had. wound up shooting a jack and a cotton (long shots about 45 yards) both on the small side. I reach for the camera and realize my wife usually packs the camera.... ooops. she recently fractured her foot while traning our dog. she was up for some dove hunting last week in the IV but rabbit requires much more walking so she stayed home and slept in. we drive around some more and about 10 the kids say " whens lunch so i pull over and... OOOPS again no lunch its in the fridge at home (wife usually packs it) so i break out the cliff bars after some whinning (since thats what they had for breakfast) we roll on. the rain comes in the wind comes up and the temp drops to 58 so we hit the road by 11. sorry no picts but a great day with the kids.

I dont have any picts either. SInce my wife fractured her foot she usually handles the camera packing, heck we even forgot lunch today. We ate Cliff bars for lunch and breakfast.
But.. i took the 3 kids out today for a rabbit hunt also my daughter 11 did not even feel like carrying the gun so she was on glass duty. We found a few got, rained on the whole day and got a break from the heat. it was 65 and rainy in the los padres. i got a jack and a cotton kinda on the small side.
upland

thanks for the reply and the post. these are those fond memories the kids will always remember.

Ghost (Lee)

NBK said:
Lee - you now the SCH rule...no pics and its all just hearsay! ;D

hahahah I know but all I had on me was my cheapo go phone. smart phone is on the list hahahaha.
except a cheapo smart go phone hahaha because I'am el cheapo.

Thanks Ghost,

I had a great time hunting for rabbits with you, and wish you could have bagged a few. Next time it will happen for sure.

Since you didn't have any pics I figured I'd post pics of the jack and cottontail I shot with my .25 Marauder air rifle.

The Cottontail:

IMG_0963_zpsc11fa9f9.jpg

The Jack:

IMG_0966_zpsf09e81b3.jpg

If it weren't for the lighting I'm sure we would have stayed out there allot longer and you would have connected with one or more. We'll go again soon. :)

All my rabbit hunting was been in the Los Padres NP, using shotguns. Looking forward to heading south where I hear they're out in greater numbers and want to try hunting with a Winchester 22lr single shot I inherited from my Dad. Anybody up for a trip after Dove season?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu