rangefinder or RF binos?

archerthearcher

Dec 3, 2012
Ramona CA
I am starting to realize that I need to be able to range animals [if I ever see them] and have seen a lot of different products out there and a wide range of prices.

I am just wondering what you think between a rangefinder and binoculars with RF in them.

Also, any recommendations would be helpful, but I am not looking to spend too much maybe $2 or 300

While I like the idea of the RF binos, they are very expensive. If your looking to spend 2 or $300 look at the Bushnell RF, or the Leupold RF more in your range.

I have 2 the Leupold RX-1000i tbr and the Bushnell Yardage Pro 850. And I do say the leupold is so much better. Has pretty cool features, especially if you bow hunt. Overall Leupold 10/10 Bushnell 7/10

I have a range finder and bino's. The bino's with range finding capability are out of my price range. Not sure I would even like them though.

Thanks for the thoughts and the options.

Having never used a range finder I like the theory of backing the combo, but the insane price has me wondering. I think I will end up going with two pieces rather then spending the extra cash.

Originally I was against the idea of combining two technologies, This past year I purchased a set on Leica 10x50 hd range finding bino's and have used it in all the situations I have been involved with (varmints, deer and elk hunting at ranges out to 900 + yds) to evaluate trophy quality or distance. I have to say to say it works for me.

archerthearcher said:
Thanks for the thoughts and the options.

Having never used a range finder I like the theory of backing the combo, but the insane price has me wondering. I think I will end up going with two pieces rather then spending the extra cash.

My grandpa has some of the rangefinder/binos and they're pretty awesome but 1500-3000$ is waaay too much, he got lucky and won them at a banquet

Hi gang, I went back to this thread because my brother is looking to buy RF binos. Anyone have something new to report since their last post? Any cool new models you've tried?

Don,

I didn't own them, but did use them........Leica 10x42 Geovid........The bino seemed to be as good as Swarovski and the RF was better than my Nikons....Top notch.....About $2,500.00 bucks.

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=COIBU35YQVI2NNsPB-QP7koDgCIfRnL4F7-fwjbEBl9DHo5wCCAQQBCC5-tIeKAVQ1_rY7QZgyc7chsij6BmgAfGLqd0DyAEHqgQnT9AbOg3bcw3Qwto9CrMyL9JMF3lh4-Es9s62NfUUE13pGVSFPeULgAWQTsAFBaAGJoAH9_PWIogHAZAHAqgHpr4b4BLVqfGuqMCymAs&sig=AOD64_1urxwbv95tp74z3nEabI7v5XVq6A&ctype=5&rct=j&q=&ved=0CDsQww8&adurl=http://clickserve.dartsearch.net/link/click%3Flid%3D92700004951535506%26ds_s_kwgid%3D58700000305502387%26ds_e_adid%3D47616825671%26ds_e_product_group_id%3D76310243351%26ds_e_product_id%3D03921484%26ds_e_product_merchant_id%3D1221574%26ds_e_product_country%3DUS%26ds_e_product_language%3Den%26ds_e_product_channel%3Donline%26ds_e_product_store_id%3D%7Bproduct_store_id%7D%26ds_s_inventory_feed_id%3D97700000000001791%26ds_url_v%3D2%26ds_dest_url%3Dhttp://cabelas.rdr.channelintelligence.com/go.asp%3FfVhzOC8fBggESSNiXFpZQhVmED92Z1EABEwBb2VbUxdDXSJXNzAjFx0fR0AofAwCCRZNP0wKXEsuayNfXVRFWyt9IyYiMGBzYwYLBWR2HXh9cgBAUlNHFWwMdWomWUEPQUIwNhoAHyVALFZFUVAKIG4eCggIA2tiSRAZEEIxQCZ5MERbbwEBampXWl1KBz1PLSc8SVcNDFQzOwwIAhcOYBlzawo3NyFOD3NjfXkFO00GEH43QH4DPEJVXFVpLT0LFggHYDpMZRMHA0hvXFMAOwtSVkMSZw0VCxx3YiFEVg0CBQ%3D%3D%26nAID%3D17588969

Thanks Steve. Fred, how are those Leica 10x50 HD's working for you? Are they a little heavy? Any critique or reflections?

Really like them, what can you say about Leica glass, its one of the best so the resolution and color separation are very good which really comes into play at long distances. They are a bit large and heavy but on a bino buddy they work fine, might be a bit more then you need for archery but for open terrain like we have in the west I think they are ideal

archerthearcher said:
I am starting to realize that I need to be able to range animals [if I ever see them] and have seen a lot of different products out there and a wide range of prices.

I am just wondering what you think between a rangefinder and binoculars with RF in them.

Also, any recommendations would be helpful, but I am not looking to spend too much maybe $2 or 300

Just adding my 02 cents to this.. I recently bought a Very cheap BUT highly effective Range finder from Simmons (bushnell make it for them) its the WhiteTail LRF 600 it works rather well.. Its small light and works well.
I did alot of searching around and could NOT find a better deal when it came down to the Positive Reviews on it. it was recommended by 90+ % when i bought it.. so just in case anybody is in need of a Cheap one that actually works well.

I like the idea of RF Binos, but out of my range. Bushnell makes RF Binos and they are supposed to be pretty damn good. Also If you frequent the website CamoFire, they have had on their recently some Leica Geovids- 15x56 and 10x42 for 2k and 1675.00 respectively. Something to think about while bow hunting with RF binos is one handed use, what side of the binos does the range display on. Could prove to be a game breaker in certain situation.

Bonejour said:
Hi gang, I went back to this thread because my brother is looking to buy RF binos. Anyone have something new to report since their last post? Any cool new models you've tried?

The new Liecas HD-B are very expensive but the rangefinder in them is outstanding. I've bounced the laser off of the balls on the power lines at 1,600 yards. and trees and rocks over 2,000 yards.
They will range down to 10 yards.

Had a chance to compare the old version to the new version next to each other last weekend. The clarity of the glass is a step up from the old style HD's.

Also they can calculate the angle, barometric pressure, and will give you the surrounding temperature. They will also calculate the hold over (or tell you the MOA with angle compensation) to your target out to 850 yards.
There are 12 programs to chose from. Pick the one that closes matches your ballistics. I have compared this to Istrelok and at 500 yards they are about an inch difference for the program that was closes to my ballistics.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu