Reading deer scat.

DrVino

Mar 28, 2015
Hi everyone.

Can anyone share any tips for dating/assessing age of deer scat in the field?

I'm working/scouting some spots in SoCal in anticipation of the coming deer season.

One area has a lot of deer scat. Just a little of it is dark and moist looking. Some of it is the right color but dry. Some is sun-bleached to some degree on top and dark when I turn it over. Some is pale all around. Some is dry and bleached all the way through.

My zone is mountainous and arid but woody with sagebrush and chaparral in between.

A lot of the scat I'm seeing is in fairly shaded areas, next to bushes that look like this:

http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/DoktorVino/media/11913246_10153090242652285_1315134133_n_zpsy5alzarv.jpg.html

Hey what part of socal u hunting? As far as scat goes I usualy check to see if it's warm there close, if it's squishy then it's been within a few days, color doesn't really tell me much besides if it's white it's old as shit lmao

yep that's about right. if it is old been a while. I look for lots of fresh tracks, with a little dust a round the track. it's very recent couple of hours.
old tracks are visibly degraded. fresh scat is good, especially if if there lots of it. stay off the trail and find a good ambush spot. watch the trail. use the game cameras to catch them and figure out, what time the deer pass thru. in the ancient times I would set up at daylight wet or shine. and sit with out out moving. I had more patience back then. now these bones get sore so I have to move. and it's a waiting game. it may take hours, days, weeks or months. until you see them . this type of hunting is easier for these old bones.

scouting (spot and stalk) works faster and more deer are seen this way. I would walk the side of the mountains almost to the top. try to catch them from above. object there is to catch them first before they hear or see you. that method works very well. but and I mean but, you have to be absolutely quiet while walking. deer have very sensitive hearing and can hear you a very long ways. but if I was busted some times the buck would make the fatal mistake of crossing up the other side of the hill. then boom. down.
scanning the hills with Binos is a must. and takes plenty patience. Be the mountain lion, walk a few feet scan for an 1/2 hour or more, walk a few feet and scan again. be slow and methodical. to many hunters walk to fast. and I catch myself sometimes doing it to.
and as I have learned from others here. when busted by deer (Buck) sometimes will circle. heard lots of stories were hunter was busted by a buck, sat down took a load off. and here comes that buck down the trail. Boom.

the object of this game is to catch them off guard. and get that shot. opportunities are few. make it count.

I just scratched the surface. sure I missed a lot I am sure others will chime in.
ask many questions. search all the previous post. it is a learning curve for ever.
I was out of circulation for a while. mainly fishing. so trying to get my MOJO back.

it get's tougher as time flies because of issues with health, work and on, so take advantage of it, as much as possible

Ghost

Attachments

• IMG_0055.JPG
    IMG_0055.JPG
    351 KB · Views: 23
The color & texture of dropping has a lot to do with the moisture in the air......In our local mountains, dark dropping that are hard are probably less than a week old......If they're moist & soft probably that night or morning.....If they're white and hard then obviously they're old......Stick with where your finding them, even if they're does......Being able to hunt in the rut will make those bucks come to these areas......Deer beds are another sign to look for.

Start looking for rubs too......It's getting to be that time...... ;)

Attachments

• IMG_4763.JPG
    IMG_4763.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4956.JPG
    IMG_4956.JPG
    618.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8927.JPG
    IMG_8927.JPG
    493.4 KB · Views: 22
I have seen where a deer shit 40 yards from me I was watching these deer feed I walked over and felt the shit to see the color and softness I was surprised to see how hard it was and very dry.

Pretty much every deer dropping looks the same to me, regardless of what they're eating........... ;)

Here's moose, elk, & bear...... ;D

Attachments

• washington elk hunt 2011 025.JPG
    washington elk hunt 2011 025.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • montana day 3 012.JPG
    montana day 3 012.JPG
    956.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1053.JPG
    IMG_1053.JPG
    747.8 KB · Views: 17

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu