Real feather Turkey Decoy

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
I was listening to Steve Renella on his Meat Eater podcast today and they were talking about turkey decoys. He said he knows a guy who takes a cheap decoy and glues real turkey feathers all over it. Apparently the real feather had the birds running in. Anyone ever try this? I know when people use stuffers for goose or Sandhills cranes the results are way better. I don't have any feathers yet but I think if I get a bird this year I am going to pluck its feathers and try it or possibly skin it and salt it glue it to my cheap decoy and see what happens. It might smell a little for a few weeks but that should die down after it dries out.

Drew,

There was a company that was called Turkey Skinz.....It was a cover that had turkey feathers glued to it. It went over any hard bodied decoy.....Of course, being the person that I am for new stuff and getting an edge ( ::)), I bought it.....Total waste of money....Feathers came unglued, didn't look that good, and I finally just threw it away.

Now, I have hunted over real stuffies and they do work (just like geese).....2 cents

.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turkey-Decoys-Flambeau-1-Turkey-Skinz-Decoy-Cover-real-feathers-/281943918601?hash=item41a52ac809:g:xJEAAOSwWTRWzL-T

Attachments

• turkey hunt 5-5-12 026.JPG
    turkey hunt 5-5-12 026.JPG
    909.4 KB · Views: 17
Jason,

The decoy with the fan was a Primos Killer Bee with a real fan.....Really should use a jake fan.

.https://youtu.be/RG6S4c1-O6E

SurfNHuntSD said:
Cool, thanks Steve. I do have a real jake fan that I could jury-rig to my current decoy but I'm worried on public land someone might blast it (and me).

I NEVER use tom decoys on public land....Especially in areas without good views from all angles.... ;)

Almost got shot by my partner on this set....ON PRIVATE LAND!....Look right behind the decoy.....90 yds behind him was my...Hmmm...Partner, sneaking in..... :eek:

Attachments

• turkey opener 2012 060.JPG
    turkey opener 2012 060.JPG
    539 KB · Views: 22
Wow, your partner nonetheless.. sketchy! I do use a jake and hen set on public land, and am aware of the risks. Haven't had any close calls thankfully but will watch my angles. A couple seasons ago I did watch thru my binos across a valley as a guy with a shake gobble call brought in a couple hunters. Nothing happened but watching it unfold from afar was scary.. was hoping I wouldn't have to lend medical aid.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu