Recommendations for Archery

Koi00

Jul 23, 2016
Hi,
I have been hunting for several years with a rifle and have recently thought of doing archery hunting. I would like to get some recommendations for a compound bow to start archery hunting. I would greatly appreciate any help.

If you live in North County of San Diego Co...Try Willow Creek Archery...Ask for Brett.

ps...Try to buy the best you can afford...The bow portion is just the start to what it will cost you

If you buy a used bow...Make sure you have it checked out by someone who knows what to look for...There's some good deals out there on quality stuff.

Thanks everyone, but I live up north in riverside county. What would be some things that are a must have for archery to get started?

all three shops have indoor ranges, go look but don't buy ,try out diffrnt bows an get training while you are there.
the first thing you need to by is your shooting form, get instructions how to shoot a bow properly.

Highly suggest going to a pro shop to get you set up right the first time
this so you know what draw length and all that stuff... i am lucky and got a loner old onieda from my uncle to play with but we are literally the same size so it fits perfect

Thanks everyone, but I live up north in riverside county. What would be some things that are a must have for archery to get started?
1. Money. I'd say $800 for a decent entry level setup. $1000-1200+ if you can swing it.

2. Bow. Get measured and try different bows to see how they feel. Used bows can be sketchy because you don't know what people have done to them, or if they'll fit you well. New bows are best but used bows have terrible resale so you can get a good deal on one.

3. Release. Get a good one.

4. Accessories. Rests, stabilizers, sights, etc. You can go crazy with this. Work within your budget and ask questions on here and to shop guys.

5. Arrows and heads. Again, ask the shop guys about weights and brands. I'm happy with the Victory stuff I've been buying from Bow N Arrow but maybe other folks think different.

6. Target. Either go to a range and/or buy one for backyard shooting if you can swing it. I used to shoot a lot at Morley Field for $2 a session. Cool peeps.

7. Time and practice. Have experienced people watch your form. Just like a golf swing or baseball swing. Really helps.

Larry would be proud of the length of this BTW

First, I am a newbie when it comes to bow hunting, but I have done some research. I know one of the pros will jump in and correct me if i start spouting BS.
  1. What do you want to hunt? This will determine what kinetic energy (KE) you need. Typical is 25-65 ft-lbs (small-large game).
  2. Once you know your required KE, you will need to measure your draw length in inches.
  3. KE and draw length can be used to determine what draw weight you need (lbs). Draw weight is typically 40-70 lbs.
  4. Your draw weight will determine what your arrow weight is in grains (AW=~7.5*DW). You will want broad head and field points. Typ 100-150 grains. Carbon fiber arrows seems to be poplar right now for good reason, but $$$.
  5. Each bow will have a IBO speed in fps. Typical is around 320-340 fps. Higher is typ better.
  6. The next thing to look at is your axle to axle length (ATA) in inches. This is typically 2-3 inches longer than your draw length and determines your string angle which should be greater than 107 degrees. Also, look up brace height.
  7. Let off is the reduction in draw weight at full draw, which makes it easier to hold at full draw. Typ 75%-90%.
  8. Bow weight might be another thing that you want to consider. <5 lbs
I found this website helpful:

1. Money. I'd say $800 for a decent entry level setup. $1000-1200+ if you can swing it.

2. Bow. Get measured and try different bows to see how they feel. Used bows can be sketchy because you don't know what people have done to them, or if they'll fit you well. New bows are best but used bows have terrible resale so you can get a good deal on one.

3. Release. Get a good one.

4. Accessories. Rests, stabilizers, sights, etc. You can go crazy with this. Work within your budget and ask questions on here and to shop guys.

5. Arrows and heads. Again, ask the shop guys about weights and brands. I'm happy with the Victory stuff I've been buying from Bow N Arrow but maybe other folks think different.

6. Target. Either go to a range and/or buy one for backyard shooting if you can swing it. I used to shoot a lot at Morley Field for $2 a session. Cool peeps.

7. Time and practice. Have experienced people watch your form. Just like a golf swing or baseball swing. Really helps.

Larry would be proud of the length of this BTW
This ^^^ & Yes he would Jason!

It all depends on what you're willing to spend..if money isn't an object let the pros steer you to the latest carbon full setup at any of the above mentioned shops or a local one in your area. Must haves tho I would say an allen key set for adjustments and a place to practice..if you got the space for 20-30yds then pick up a target or you can make one but practicing is a must.

Thanks everyone! I will definitely search up a shop near me to go.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu