Reel Repair Rare Parts Source

fish dog

Apr 28, 2015
Johnson City, TN
Just wanted to let you guys know that if you have an old reel you want to put back in service that needs some part you can't find I might have a solution for you. I was rehabbing an old Shimano Bantam 300 (circa 1982) and the level wind gear retaining screw broke off in the gear. I figured no problem I'll just get one from Shimano. Wrong! They didn't even have the reel listed on their website anymore. I tried several other places and then ran across this website... https://matsreelrepair.com/reel-parts ...He advertises that he has parts for reels from the 1940s on up. There is no online ordering, you have to email him and ask for the part you need. He then emails back whether or not he has the part(s) and if you say you want it (them) then you either call him with a credit card or he invoices you via PayPal. I actually needed 4 different parts for this reel and he had them all and the price and shipping were reasonable too. He also was quick to answer the emails and quick to ship the parts. A great solution for some good old reels you might have around that could live again if you could just find that rare part. I was impressed with his service, highly recommend him.

Eric,

Thanks for posting....I too have a ton of old reel parts (from when I owned my bait & tackle store)....Mostly Ambassador and Shimano....Lots of older reels as well (70 & 80's).

Eric,

Thanks for posting....I too have a ton of old reel parts (from when I owned my bait & tackle store)....Mostly Ambassador and Shimano....Lots of older reels as well (70 & 80's).
Is there a post on SCH about the story of your bait and tackle store? seems like it would be an interesting story.

Thanks for the tip! I have quite a few that need parts. I am big into fishing with vintage fishing lures and usually buy by the tackle box. There is always a reel in the bottom of the box, usually broken too. Brought a few back to life. I make bait with this one every trip. I think it is early 70’s model if memory serves.

if you ever get a line on a early 70’s surf rod to pair it let me know.
2EE0BB10-7D09-4714-9430-736F56E6B839.jpeg

Thanks for the tip! I have quite a few that need parts. I am big into fishing with vintage fishing lures and usually buy by the tackle box. There is always a reel in the bottom of the box, usually broken too. Brought a few back to life. I make bait with this one every trip. I think it is early 70’s model if memory serves.

if you ever get a line on a early 70’s surf rod to pair it let me know.
View attachment 52127
Little hard to tell from that picture, but that appears to be an Ambassador 45, or 5500C....Great reel....They made that series in a 1500, 2500, 3500, and 6500...The smaller versions are pretty rare and very collectable...I have lots of parts for these.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu