Remington 742

Hunter527

Apr 3, 2018
Niland, CA
I have a Remington 742 in 30-06 that belonged to my grandfather and was thinking about using it this upcoming deer season. Does anyone have experience with this rifle? My other option is a Savage 243 that i got a few years ago when I first started hunting, I’m 17 now.

Either will work.... I lugged around a 760 Gamemaster one season when my Tikka was in the shop. It’s a similar rifle to the 742 but it’s a pump action. If you want to enjoy the nostalgia of hunting with an old rifle that belonged to your grandfather, do it! I’m sure it kills deer just fine and it would be neat to get a deer with it. But if you prefer to hunt with a lighter rifle that probably handles a little easier take the .243.

If you opt to use the 742 make sure you go to the range and see how it shoots.

How far do you think the accurate range is for a 742?

Just focus on how well you can shoot the gun. In capable hands I’m sure it’s accurate beyond what you want to shoot. If you can’t hit a paper plate every time you shoot, back the yardage down in 25 yard increments until you can again and that is your effective range. There are too many variables to tell you how well your old gun will shoot. Every gun is different, each ammo brand/bullet weight will shoot differently, and you the shooter are the biggest variable.

I’m leaning more towards using the 30-06 over the 243 since I’ll be hunting D14 and carrying a bear tag also.

Hunter,

Little video about your 742....Pretty cool rifle....Remember, she'll have to spit out copper.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the 742 as long as its in good repair. I’ve got one here that shoots just fine.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu