Remington's 870 Express or Weatherby's PA-08?

kannamike

Jun 14, 2013
San Gabriel Valley
Hi All,

I am in the market for a shotgun and I'm in between the 870 or PA-08. I've been reading reviews online that said the 870 has jamming problems. Is this true? I could get a great deal on the 870 but I don't want deal with extracting problems. I would appreciate your opinion.

Go with the 870 over the Weatherby for sure. Only issue with an 870 is if you short stroke it (user error).

Don't overlook the Winchester XSP either.

870s are reliable and strong guns have been shooting one for years. Like NBK the Winchester SXP is also a great gun in the same price range.

I was in the same predicament for my first shotgun. After reading reviews everywhere I could, as well as watching a ton of youtube videos; I went with the 870. I love it! I recommend it to everyone I know. I have yet to have any jamming or short stroking issues.

I shoot I 870 supermag that I bought from Big 5. Its been a great gun. The only issues I had were some shells were getting stuck in the barrel and causing it to jam but I found that was because I was using the cheap wal mart red winchester shells. Its never done that to me with any other shell. I'm also kicking myself because I bought it at big 5 and I know the quality of gun sold at big 5 is not the same as the quality at Fine Firearms. I believe remington produces a cheaper made gun for big 5. That may be part of my issue too.

fordfan1 said:
I'm also kicking myself because I bought it at big 5 and I know the quality of gun sold at big 5 is not the same as the quality at Fine Firearms. I believe remington produces a cheaper made gun for big 5. That may be part of my issue too.

Can anyone else confirm this?

I have a hard time believing that Remington makes a lower quality gun for Big 5 to sell. Remington is a great company with a brand and reputation to protect. The only way I could see that happening is if they sold it under a different brand, which they don't.

Both Remington and Mossberg make a cost reduced version for Big 5. Many manufacturers also do this for Wal-Mart.

Well if Big 5 sells a "price reduction model", that's what I've been rocking and have only had issues with certain shells not extracting 5% of the time so I just don't use those rounds. Mow's birds down no problem. Shoots slugs accurate out to about 80-90 yards or so. Either way, you'll be happy with an 870. Just keep it clean and don't store it away wet.

8SteelTown said:
Well if Big 5 sells a "price reduction model", that's what I've been rocking and have only had issues with certain shells not extracting 5% of the time so I just don't use those rounds. Mow's birds down no problem. Shoots slugs accurate out to about 80-90 yards or so. Either way, you'll be happy with an 870. Just keep it clean and don't store it away wet.

8steel and me have witnessed my Dirty 20g.... pump shells like a clean one, the 870 pump is awesome

The Remington 870 express is the same gun no matter where you get it. The reason Big 5 sells them for less is because the can afford to by a "truck load" at a time!

SoCalHunter said:
The Remington 870 express is the same gun no matter where you get it. The reason Big 5 sells them for less is because the can afford to by a "truck load" at a time!

I got this confirmed by Remington as well. I emailed them about it and got a response. Below is their answer and my original question:

Discussion Thread

Response Via Email (Will) 09/30/2013 04:42 PM
Thank you for contacting Remington! The 870 Express shotguns that are sold to the many different manufactures are of the same quality as those sold in gun shops.

Customer By Email 09/26/2013 05:42 PM

Hello,
I heard that the Remington 870 Express shotguns that are manufactured for sale at Big 5 (and/or Walmart) are of different/lesser quality than those manufactured for sale in other firearms retail stores.
Is this true? If so, what are some of the specific differences?
Thank you

NBK said:
I will restrain myself from going on a fact based rant. ;)

Ha! The last guy who got facts quit the forum! I prefer to hear facts. I think either way, the 870 is a good choice (IMO).

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu