Report for the weekend

TaftHunter

I hunt a lot
Nov 17, 2012
Taft
Okay so we decided to hunt out the area I wounded that buck last weekend. Which is a new area to me and my hunting partner. Last weekend was only the second time I have been there. Saturday morning started off good, right off we spotted a spike and 2 doe. We got within 30 yards before they took off. About an hour later I spotted a bachelor heard of bucks from over 1000 yards away, I got the spotting scope out and I knew for sure 2 of them were spikes, the other I could not identify. About a mile up the trail I was glassing something across the canyon that I couldn't tell what it was, as I was getting the spotting scope ready to find out. My partner whispers "shhh there's a buck behind us" so I slowly turned around, and sure enough 130 yards up hill on the ridge behind us a really nice heavy horned 3x2 stood watching us. We couldn't get close enough to get a shot due to him already having us figured out.
So we went to the truck and moved on to camp. Saturday evening we just road hunted and glassed a little and only thing we saw was a bobcat. This morning we got up, nothing real special happened. We need up seeing 2 spikes 2 does and 1 unidentified plus a little bear. Which was the 3rd bear we have seen this season. After a little 3 mile hike we decided to call it a day and head home to relax.
I'm still trying to get this new place figured, we have only found 2 springs so far. I'm expecting nice bucks this year.

Nice report Taft. Sounds like a good time was had. Looks like there may be a chance at some nice bucks in your future. Stay with it brother...

NBK said:
Nice report Taft. Sounds like a good time was had. Sounds like there may be a chance at some nice bucks in your future. Stay with it brother...

Thanks! It was. Yes, this place has great opportunities, my grandpa use to hunt it before there was even a road to drive up. They would take horses and kill monsters out of there. Only bad part is, I've heard during rifle season it gets hit really hard and it's like almost 2 hours from where I live.. But we are gonna do all we can to get some bucks!

Taft,

Very nice hunting report.....Sounds like your on the right trail.....Thanks for sharing......... :)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu