Reporting from D 16

Nice eye guard. Hope he’s got one on the other side. So many down here seem to be lopsided.

Reactions: Lungpopper
I went into opening weekend of D16 with the idea that I would take any legal buck. The opening would be my only weekend to hunt. Randomshot and his brother in law Brad and I hiked in 4 miles to a predetermined camping location Friday night. I had hopes of filling my tag by Monday.

Saturday morning was uneventful other than my hunting party. I saw one other hunter from my vantage point that was doing more walking than what I would call hunting. I watched him for awhile hoping he would push some deer around but he never did. So I turned and hiked in deeper and meet up with Randomshot.

We were sitting on a vantage point with him looking North and me looking South. I found a spike laying in the shade 252 yards away eating his cud and enjoying the shade. I was keeping an eye on him while still scanning the area. A little before the sun went behind a hill he got up and made his way into a meadow. As he walked into the meadow he kept looking back I was sure there were other deer around by his actions. I was so locked onto him I stopped scanning the other areas I should have been keeping an eye on.

Turned to my right and there was a buck standing in the middle of another meadow. Checked him with the binoculars at 193 yards. It was a buck that I had seen during archery season. I couldn’t get a good rest, and tried to rush a shot off and missed him. He just stood there, giving me enough time to crawl over to some rocks that I could get a rest and made a good shot on him.

Randomshot and I went over to him took some pics and were breaking out the knives when I spot another deer. Checked him to make sure he was a legal buck and Random put a perfect 430 yard shot on him to make it a double.934CCDD5-C4EE-4A8D-BC47-24A0A445FE42.jpeg9A548312-2511-4044-9248-6A17722DE008.jpeg934CCDD5-C4EE-4A8D-BC47-24A0A445FE42.jpegD07B8F04-EA1E-493C-BEBB-6A9FFE93E58D.png

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu