Res. cow Elk

GUNDOGLOVER49

Aug 14, 2020
Two of us started our hunt Wed. morning Greg tag out at about 9 AM, There were two other cows in the herd that dropped into a wash so I never got a shot. That Eve we spotted a herd across the meadow at the base of the brush line, guide ranged it at three hundred, wind was crossing at 22 MPH, I was over hood of truck, (no Hatch not out window) resting on backpack, I thought I was in a boat on the ocean with the wind, I took a shot and missed then they moved into brush. He told me he used old range finder because he couldn't find his new one, he dropped it in the front of truck some place so he used old one, when he check with new one, range was actually 515 yards. I told him no biggy, with the wind I likely would have missed at three hundred, but he needs to shitcan old range finder. No luck next morning. Went out that evening and saw nothing we were able to get up on. Just at sunset I spotted one in the brush at 120 yards, my range finder this time. When I finally got a shot they were at 170, only shot I had before they moved into bush and were gone was quartering away shot, so I sent it, heard the thud of impact , she went a few yards and went down. It was well after sunset before we had her field dressed out in 20 deg. temp. We boned them both out early this morning and are now in Kingman for the night, head home early AM to complete trip.
SIMG_1264002.jpgide note,They had a special res. wide hunt yesterday, when we got to skinning, there were 20+ Elk hanging and 25 trucks with Elk in bed waiting to get in. The kid we were with said F this, I have a shed at my place 2 miles away so went over there and skinned her out.IMG_1264002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Strong work John!! What a great veterans day massacre!!! And thank you for your service buddy!!! Way to give it to mama!!

Reactions: blazintowers
Well done!

John, here's the sausage web site I was talking about the other day, there Excel recipes spread sheet is great you can customize it your way!
Always buy new sealed dry spices I like to heat them in a dry skillet to get the oils out.
I don't use water as much as I add wine, port wine, champagne, good beer, anything but cold water

Last edited:
Well done!

John, here's the sausage web site I was talking about the other day, there Excel recipes spread sheet is great you can customize it your way!
Always buy new sealed dry spices I like to heat them in a dry skillet to get the oils out.
I don't use water as much as I add wine, port wine, champagne, good beer, anything but cold water

Thanks Mark.

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu