Rifle - 1. Archery - 2 strikes/1 foul ball

brad nsw

Oct 24, 2015
Last day by ground blind.jpg After getting deer the last 4 years in D16, decided to give archery a try for 2nd tag.

6th day out filled the rifle tag with a nice 3x3.

Next 7 nights bow hunting from a tent, during that really windy week, I took two swings.

1st was at a nice 3x3 from my treestand. Shooting G5 Montec fixed blades. 50yd shot. Arrow lasered straight toward his heart, then wind grabbed it. Glanced off his back. 2 drops of blood in 200 yds. Got a pic of him on a game camera 2 nights later, no worse for wear.

2nd was from my ground blind at 40 yds. Again, windy and G5 broadhead was going straight toward vitals. Wind grabbed it and total miss. Found arrow at the base of the bush he was standing by broadside.

Last 5 nights of the season, back in the tent, armed with Rage Hypodermic mechanicals. 1st day, nice 2x2 stops 20 yds from ground blind. Draw, 20yd pin on chest. Release and arrow flies 2ft over his back. Hit a twig on my ground blind! !! Foul Ball! Ugh!

Then 4 days of nothing. Sunday (last day of season) I opt for treestand. 6:30 AM. Nice 2x2 sneaks up behind me. I sense him, turn and he's staring at me. As I swing my bow around, he's walking behind a bush.

To rub salt in my ego, I check the camera covering my ground blind (which I'd been hunting for 4 days) I find the attached picture. He stood there broadside, 20 yds from the blind for 4 pictures!

Already making plans for next years bow hunt. I'm addicted! !!

Man, that's damn good for D-16. Sounds like you should only be allowed to use your bow from now on, give the rest of us a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Public land in Cleveland NF. 3 miles from nearest road. Never seen another hunter. Game cameras have only picked up one other 2 legged critter...not sure he was legal:)

.Illegal.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely not legal. Lol. That's funny shit.

That is a great spot. Perfect funnel out of cover.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu