Ring door bell

GUNDOGLOVER

Dec 5, 2018
So I had an Arlo camera but I could not set sensitivity low enough to stop annoyance notices so I sent it back and got the ring 2 door bell. It works much better except every so often it loses communication with our phones, this will last for a few hrs. then everything will be fine for several days then it happens again. Anyone else having this problem? I have a friend who works for a CCTV Co. and he said it is not a modem or router problem as far he can tell. Any thoughts?

I have a few of those ring cameras. They will occasionally lose connection with the wifi and I believe that's more of the fault of the crappy Spectrum wifi we have then the cameras. They are a little slow to connect at times too even when they do connect. Sometimes whoever rang the doorbell is gone by the time the camera connects to your phone. I'm not sure but I think that also may be more of a wifi problem than a problem with the cameras.

Reactions: Croakerjoe
I have a few of those ring cameras. They will occasionally lose connection with the wifi and I believe that's more of the fault of the crappy Spectrum wifi we have then the cameras. They are a little slow to connect at times too even when they do connect. Sometimes whoever rang the doorbell is gone by the time the camera connects to your phone. I'm not sure but I think that also may be more of a wifi problem than a problem with the cameras.
You mean to tell me, all those TV commercial by spectrum touting how fast and wonderful thier service is may not be as accurate as presented. Imagine that.

I *JUST* finished installing a Ring 2 Doorbell on our front door. Mama won it among the multiple raffled prizes they had at her companies Holiday party.

Things been working real cool. Unfortunately for me, Mama is setup as the registered owner so as a guest apparently I can't fuss with things like the sensitivity settings. Overall been real impressed with it though!

RE: losing connection - are you placing them a significant distance from the router? Are their other RF emitting devices in-between? Or are there Microwave ovens in-between it and the router? Perhaps if a particular location of install is at the fringe of the router's wireless ability, you could consider adding a WiFi repeater/signal-booster? They also have signal boosters where you add one near the Router... it picks up the signal... its plugged into a power circuit, and it pumps the signal down the wire of the power circuit and another endpoint unit plugged into the same circuit recv's the signal and transmits it again via WiFi starting from that destination endpoint, to extend its range.

I *JUST* finished installing a Ring 2 Doorbell on our front door. Mama won it among the multiple raffled prizes they had at her companies Holiday party.

Things been working real cool. Unfortunately for me, Mama is setup as the registered owner so as a guest apparently I can't fuss with things like the sensitivity settings. Overall been real impressed with it though!

RE: losing connection - are you placing them a significant distance from the router? Are their other RF emitting devices in-between? Or are there Microwave ovens in-between it and the router? Perhaps if a particular location of install is at the fringe of the router's wireless ability, you could consider adding a WiFi repeater/signal-booster? They also have signal boosters where you add one near the Router... it picks up the signal... its plugged into a power circuit, and it pumps the signal down the wire of the power circuit and another endpoint unit plugged into the same circuit recv's the signal and transmits it again via WiFi starting from that destination endpoint, to extend its range.
Distance of approx. 8 ' separated by one standard wall. The only obstruction between router and The Ring is me in my recliner. and we do have signal booster.

If your Router is mounted nearer to the floor... perhaps try mounting it higher up so the signal can radiate out better?

In my Office room the router is at about shoulder height. And this room is centrally located within the house, so we get good coverage.

Last edited:
Yep great product that allows people to hack your system. Especially people that have them inside there homes. Review the latest where a parent had a camera in her daughters room and someone hacked it and told the little girl he was Santa... This is SICK....
Don't know why you'd want one IN the house. They're really made for outside security so if someone wants to look at my porch or front yard they must lead a pretty dull like. I know they just came out with inside cameras but, like I said, I don't know why.

As for the router problems, I've got extenders and all that and there isn't anything in between the cameras and the router or the extension except for maybe one of them on the side of the house. The problem is intermittent which is one of the reasons I suspect the router. Also, another thing that makes me think router is the fact that the router has two channels and while on the computer or iPad one channel will just quit working and I have to switch to the other one then, after a while that one quits and I have to go back to the first one.

Don't know why you'd want one IN the house. They're really made for outside security so if someone wants to look at my porch or front yard they must lead a pretty dull like. I know they just came out with inside cameras but, like I said, I don't know why.

As for the router problems, I've got extenders and all that and there isn't anything in between the cameras and the router or the extension except for maybe one of them on the side of the house. The problem is intermittent which is one of the reasons I suspect the router. Also, another thing that makes me think router is the fact that the router has two channels and while on the computer or iPad one channel will just quit working and I have to switch to the other one then, after a while that one quits and I have to go back to the first one.

Hrmm... maybe try putting a little USB powered fan pointed at that router and see if it helps. Also... occasionally... like once in a blue moon... if you call your provider and have them boot your thread from their side... I've noticed it can help with thru-put that was getting sluggish in response times.

Yep great product that allows people to hack your system. Especially people that have them inside there homes. Review the latest where a parent had a camera in her daughters room and someone hacked it and told the little girl he was Santa... This is SICK....
Do you happen to have a link to whatever article ran this story? Asking because I'm curious to read it to learn at what point the person gained access. Like if they were able to compromise something more easy on the local side to the guys house such as his router and a port on it?, or if they were able to somehow compromise that companies records in the cloud (which is HIGHLY doubtful) in order to add themselves as a guest user to the records that company keeps keyed to the device ID's?

Do you happen to have a link to whatever article ran this story? Asking because I'm curious to read it to learn at what point the person gained access. Like if they were able to compromise something more easy on the local side to the guys house such as his router and a port on it?, or if they were able to somehow compromise that companies records in the cloud (which is HIGHLY doubtful) in order to add themselves as a guest user to the records that company keeps keyed to the device ID's?

Hrmm... this sounds a lot like somebody possibly got them to DL a key tracker and maybe a packet sniffer/logger.

And if the company has MFA (Multi-Factor-Authentication) that pretty much solves that problem right there. It's a pain to use MFA, but you wouldn't have to use it much, just when accessing the account to change settings on it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu