rocky mountain oysters

1st time I ever had them was in 1969 playing baseball in Boulder, Colorado....Reminded me of breaded/seasoned chicken gizzards (childhood fav).

Reactions: CAL'NDN
Growing up in Heber aka cow town. My godfather worked at El Toro cattle and would give my pops some a few times a year. Not my fav but tried them a few times with lots of beer.

At times like this, I have to stop and ask myself, Who was the first person to say, hmmmm these might be good, and what possessed them to try it.

Reactions: Bigfin
I remember going to New Mexico every year in the late 60's and early 70's to my mother's side of the families cattle ranch where they had been since the spanish conquest and land grants from the late 1700's. The spring time round up was a gathering/social event of the local cattle owners in the area. They would divide the work and help each other over the spring time round up and each weekend for many weeks that would be spent at one or another's ranch where the newborn calves would be branded, vaccinated and dehorned with loppers for horns and castrated with shears. The "oysters" were gathered in a bucket and sent to the kitchen for the noon time meal. Back then they used to "head and heal each calf which entailed two saddle hands where one would rope the calf's head and the other would rope the hind legs. They would drag the calf to the branding fire where I had the job of lopping off the horns , shearing the testicles and throwing them in a bucket, then shooting them full of vaccine and burning them with a brand and pouring a little motor oil on the brand burn. I can't tell you how many times I got run over with a calf out of control but I think the ropers got a kick out of seeing a ten or twelve year old get run over and see if I would come back for more. I loved it, right in the middle of serious businees and they trusted and coached me to do the job. It built great confidence in me that they gave me a task and it was up to me to get it done and has carried me through life in may other ways. BTW i still love "oysters" to this day, good stuff...

At times like this, I have to stop and ask myself, Who was the first person to say, hmmmm these might be good, and what possessed them to try it.

I'm guessing it was someone of Spanish decent...Have you ever been to a Mexican Market?...NOTHING goes to waste on a cow (bull).

Reactions: CAL'NDN

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu