Ruger american stock stiffened

S

stikbrandon

Guys, I had got some serious flyers lately out of my RA, I started looking and doing research and saw that the stock is super cheap and way to flimsy on the for-grip, also even tho the barrel is free floating it really isn't if you bear down on stock. I feel as if any pressure at all, the barrel touches the stock unless you in bench rest (the best groups I got out of trophy copper! Was on the bench rest. Just under moa) I almost bought a Boyd's stock last night but thought all take the action off and see what I could do. That being said I was at the range few weeks ago and was using my pack as a rest and it was horrible!!!!! Not sure if I was gripping to hard or what but at the end of the day I know the stock was rubbing.

I cut out 1/4" slots on the support structure of the stock from the bedding V blocks forward And filled them up with epoxy to make 1 solid piece of epoxy through out the front end of the stock using the can eps I cut. After that I shaved quite a bit of plastic off the sides of the stock where the barrel and stock were touching on both sides. I free'd up quite a bit of room, so much room that you can see that it's a completely free floated barrel.

The stock is stiff as you old timers once were ( no pun intended ), and feels like a actual stock should feel like. I took a few pics and not to good but check them out.

Also I'll add the two tightest groups I got from the range ... Embarrassing .

The disclaimer . I have rung steel at 700 + yards with this gun shooting trophy copper, so something was clearly up. I'm gonna hit the range this weekend and will post the results asap

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    575.9 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    783.5 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65
That's very cool. I am curious to see how it works out for you. I have the same gun in 243 and want to buy another one for my wife. Are you using a copper remover? I know copper can gum up the barrel and it is important to use a cleaner specifically for copper. This is the stuff I use in my rifles.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    417.9 KB · Views: 30
I was shooting 3/4 MOA with my factory stock on my Ruger American. I thought about glassing the stock,but I switched it out last year for a boyd's stock instead. It looks & feels a lot better. I hover around half MOA, but get a little inside of that more often now. What you did should work.

Way to get after it Brandon. Your are heading in the right direction.

Devcon and Marine-Tex are the media of choice as they are light and strong and clean up like wood.

Keep us posted brother! The Americans shoot lights out when properly dialed in. Don't forget you have an adjustable trigger too. That can always help shrink groups.

Last edited:
NBK said:
Way to get after it Brandon. Your are heading in the right direction.

Devcon and Marine-Tex are the media of choice as they are light and strong and clean up like wood.

Keep us posted brother! The Americans shoot lights out when properly dialed in. Don't forget you have an adjustable trigger too. The can always help shrink groups.

Will do brother man!!!!

Been a while, got to the range PW&G indoor 100 yd range, much to my surprise, this ruger tightened up quite a bit!

The stock modification and switching to 168gr ttsx really did the trick,

Considering I was not using a sled im pretty dang happy !

Attachments

• IMG_0851.JPG
    IMG_0851.JPG
    671.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0852.JPG
    IMG_0852.JPG
    700.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0853.JPG
    IMG_0853.JPG
    541.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0854.JPG
    IMG_0854.JPG
    569.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
Been a while, got to the range PW&G indoor 100 yd range, much to my surprise, this ruger tightened up quite a bit!

The stock modification and switching to 168gr ttsx really did the trick,

Considering I was not using a sled im pretty dang happy !

That's straight shooting Bro. what caliber you using . thanks for sharing the info.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu