Sac Snows Part 2....weird

SluiceCoot

Oct 25, 2014
Rancho
So I went back up to Maxwell for another hunt with Kenny. Started out by staying at Granzella's (man I love that place). He told me ahead of time that hunting will be tough. What is weird is that most of the geese have already started moving out of the area. All headed back up north. Just north, the season is already closed so the geese started moving out a few weeks ago...the adults that is. The geese are shy and have been hunted all year long so it would be tough.

We started out on a cloudy morning with zero wind. The morning hunt was pretty slow but with 6 guns we managed 10 snows and one speck. The last snow came as we were all out of the blind getting ready to head out. Off in the distance, Kenny saw a snow locked up. We all froze and got on our knees as he started calling. The bird was so determined he flew right on in. A fatal mistake.

The evening flight started at about 1:30pm which was odd. We were in the blind for about 8 minutes and already had a solo snow on the ground. The evening hunt was fruitful. 13 snows for 5 guns (one of the guys could only hunt the morning). Total for the day 23 snows and one speck.

Nearly every flight overhead were all juvies. Did not see many adults at all, and the specks did not want to play. There weren't many specks around anyways. They were few and far between. But, regardless of the conditions, Kenny worked his magic and we had a great time.

On a side note, I kept all the thighs and legs as I'm trying harder and harder to use more of the birds I kill. I'm going to slow cook them in a crock pot and see how they turn out.

Attachments

• IMG_6862.JPG
    IMG_6862.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6863.JPG
    IMG_6863.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6881.JPG
    IMG_6881.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6884.JPG
    IMG_6884.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
Nice pics and hunt. I'm not buying into that all the birds are heading north, the delta and grasslands are loaded with snows right now and Tule/LK are frozen solid.

I believe the geese moved south as they are starving in the Sac/Delevan area, there is no rice left

Lots of food at Sony Bono Unit 1

45K white geese and some of the fields have not been touched.

Slayersmith said:

They just took down the reflective tape from the southwest fields at Unit 1.....Tons of food still there.....Was told though that birds at Wister were seen heading north over the Chocolates.

Word has it Honey Lake, Goose Lake and Likely are seeing geese flood into the area. Who knows. I do know that I saw very little adults in the area and there seemed to be less geese than a month ago. Then again I stayed on the west side. My dad hunted Colusa the day before the goose hunt and he said they saw a ton of Specks (and had to let them all go). Said there were good number of snows too. Maybe they like that east side right now. Who knows. I'll be back next year for sure. I love that area.

Kid, on a side note, how much of a pain is it to do a DYI hunt in the area w/out doing a lease, say only for a two day hunt?

Slayersmith said:

Is 45K a lot for recent years? Or has unit 1 been wintering that many for awhile?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Nick,

This was a big increase this year......I think there was about 20-25,000 last year......The most I've ever seen was in I think 2006 or 7.....50,000 plus..... ;)

Attachments

• IMG0924_114.jpg
    IMG0924_114.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG0966_123.jpg
    IMG0966_123.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 55
Pleeeeeennnnntyyyyy of white geese south in the Sac Valley still. Lots of birds in the pleasant grove/Nicolaus area and around sutter. Lots of specks also. Next weeks temperatures in the 70's could change that right before the late season.

SluicieCoot,

The Sac birds IMHO are becoming small spread shy, there are some guys trying to hunt snows over 20 doz sillosocks and the snows don't even blink at them, we hunt over a 100 doz FBs and are ordering another 50, it's becoming a big spread deal up there, Kenny may have shared some of that with you!

I think you're doing the right thing, pay Kenny to do the calling and enjoy the hunt

That is awesome news that Unit 1 had 45k, hopefully that trend continues and the Wister birds build back up!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu