Salton Sea Blinds and Seats

My grandfather used to hunt the Mecca area at a club he called the Coldwater Duck Club, long before my time. The club members only shot bull spring, and rarely hunted past 10 am because all had limited by then. It was a feeder club, and the sprig would come in clouds to the feed zone. I sure wish I would have asked a lot more questions when he was alive, I would sure like to know the history of those days, and I wonder why those clubs are gone, and if any remain active in that area.

My grandfather used to hunt the Mecca area at a club he called the Coldwater Duck Club, long before my time. The club members only shot bull spring, and rarely hunted past 10 am because all had limited by then. It was a feeder club, and the sprig would come in clouds to the feed zone. I sure wish I would have asked a lot more questions when he was alive, I would sure like to know the history of those days, and I wonder why those clubs are gone, and if any remain active in that area.
Cold water was our next door neighboring club . It was bigger and had the required distance between the feeding location and blinds which we didn’t . I really didn’t know the members but we could see their birds when they shot . It was just North of us and Sunset was further East . There were several clubs fairly close between us and the Sea . Also further North a man owned a property with a larger pond/lake that the honkers liked . The man was named Loud and he had a manufacturing business in Pomona . When the geese got up to come our direction it got all of our attention . Good times for sure . Too bad you didn’t get to share a blind with Grandpa . Oldquack 49

Reactions: 2duckhunter4

Many of the clubs closed up shop when California quit allowing feed zones (early 90's), both at the north and south end of the sea ...Sadly, this was about the same time pintail numbers started to drop, limit of ducks dropped to 4 or 5, and pintail limit became 1 or 2.

Here's a really great article from 1990...I worked at Wister in 1975-76 and the amount of birds that would come off the clubs was a sight to behold.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu