San Diego County - Are any outdoor areas open?

YETI

May 14, 2019
San Diego
I really want to get out and get some miles in the mountains and break in my new boots. Are there any areas open where I can hike or scout?

Feel free to PM me if you want.

According to the CNF site, they are not “closed” but have restrictions. That was posted 4/11/20 and no updates since then.

“Other recreation opportunities, such as hunting, dispersed camping and hiking on the Cleveland National Forest remain available to the public.....”

Speaking of CNF, you can’t plink on CNF but can you target shoot archery out there?
A buddy told me that we cant target shoot archery out on public land? Can anyone confirm or deny. I thought I'd be in the clear if I was shooting a foam target with no one around on public land. Not regarding the covid shut down just want to know in general.

We always target shoot in camp while hunting, just to make sure everything is good to go. I've had rangers drive by without saying anything other than the one who asked how someone with such crappy form could hit the side of a barn. :laughing: :laughing:

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
The Palomar Ranger District of the Cleveland National Forest is maintaining the closure of the Orosco Ridge Recreational Target Shooting Area for an indefinite amount of time due to public safety concerns. Discharging a firearm, air rifle, or gas gun in the Orosco Ridge Target Shooting area for any purpose is prohibited during this temporary closure. However, public access and general recreational uses are allowed.

A17: Target shooting is not permitted on the Cleveland National Forest.

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
We always target shoot in camp while hunting, just to make sure everything is good to go. I've had rangers drive by without saying anything other than the one who asked how someone with such crappy form could hit the side of a barn. :laughing: :laughing:
To be clear, I was referring to archery here, not firearms.

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu