San Diego Pigs

socalcowboy

Sep 12, 2012
Lakeside
Stop buying your tags now. They did a bang up job killing all those pigs... estimated up to 3000 - 5000 thousand when the project started and now theres just 8 with some stragglers -

Oh and according to Clark Winchell of the US Dept of Fish and Wildlife "Private hunters were also encouraged to take out hog permits but Winchell said few pigs were killed in such a way — partly because most weren’t big enough to make good trophies."

Really!!!! Trophies!!!! is what I am thinking about when hunting pigs in San Diego - No more like Bacon or Veal Bacon if their that small....

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/apr/20/pigs-feral-eradicate-backcountry/2/?#article-copy

Reactions: Goyaałé
socalcowboy said:
Stop buying your tags now. They did a bang up job killing all those pigs... estimated up to 3000 - 5000 thousand when the project started and now theres just 8 with some stragglers -

Oh and according to Clark Winchell of the US Dept of Fish and Wildlife "Private hunters were also encouraged to take out hog permits but Winchell said few pigs were killed in such a way — partly because most weren’t big enough to make good trophies."

Really!!!! Trophies!!!! is what I am thinking about when hunting pigs in San Diego - No more like Bacon or Veal Bacon if their that small....

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/apr/20/pigs-feral-eradicate-backcountry/2/?#article-copy

THUMBS UP - WELL SAID

I am good friends with one of the goverment guys killing the pigs. He said they have pretty much done away with all of them. He said he has over 2,000 game cams up. 8 left would be a liberal guess he told me last week it is more like 5. The forest service is what drove the killing they don't want them.

I'm going to watch for a government surplus game camera auction. They have to do something with those rigs when they are done. :)

150 pigs in 4 years.....at what cost?

They just pushed them around like I've said before......

Does anyone want to go in on 100 piglets? It's not like where going to release them anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stands to reason hunters don't or didn't kill to many, most of the areas the pigs were in hunters didn't have access to...

Muledeerhunter said:
Funny, I did not read about this massacre in the paper or hear about it on the news. Hmmm......

34 were killed in one night on VID land (Lake Henshaw).

They should do well this year now that they have been pushed around to spots that will let them boom in the next few years.

Stupid Gov't.....I know several spots where I could go right now and find fresh pig sign......sure wish they would publish how much TAG money they spent over the 5 years for 150 pigs....my low guess 4mil so each pig would be about 26k each and the F&W has budget issues BIG FN SUPRISE.....

Mark,

This was never a Fish & Wildlife issue......This was a county issue.....Hell, pig tag sales were probably quadrupled with the news of pigs in SD Co.

And I hope you're right.....Breed baby breed..... ;)

Reactions: Vermonter
We’ve been earnestly working at this for a number of years,” Winchell said. “It has been very successful.”

Sounds like they were knee deep in this muck.....

Winchell works for the feds, not the state.....The county board of Supervisors voted to OK the eradication program

sportyg said:
forgive me for not being in the know but what is VID land ??
VID stands for Vista Irrigation District. They own Lake Henshaw and much of the surrounding land in the Warner Springs area.
See link:
http://www.vid-h2o.org/aboutus/ourhistory.asp

Truduct said:
I am good friends with one of the goverment guys killing the pigs. He said they have pretty much done away with all of them. He said he has over 2,000 game cams up. 8 left would be a liberal guess he told me last week it is more like 5. The forest service is what drove the killing they don't want them.

We'll I would say that too if I was being payed to kill them. I would not want people thinking I am not doing my job lol

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu