San Diego poacher caught red handed...VIDEO!

Check this out!!!

I know who this poacher is. He does this on a regular basis especially on that property. I don't know him very well, I know him through some of my good friends who are honest lawful hunters. This type of stuff makes me livid and gives us lawful hunters a bad name. He 100% knew he was on the wrong property and looked comfortable like he didn't know because he does this regularly and hasn't been caught yet. Found out a warden showed up to his house the other afternoon and only took the head of the animal and wrote him a ticket for improperly filling out his tag and that was it. Can not believe a guy like this purposely trespassing and poaching with video proof of the act got away with keeping his meat and just a ticket for improperly filling out his tag. I'm sure you all have heard the story from several years ago about Josh Kettl and his monster D16 buck that was confiscated three days later and had to take a plead bargain after many months of court meetings and investigations because he couldn't take anymore time off of paramedic school without prolonging his carer. Josh did and does everything by the book and the warden (who had been watching and trying to get permission to hunt this buck for while) went way beyond and out of his way to find anything he could to ruin this young hunters success. Josh had written permission from the property owner, had the correct tag, killed it with his bow and got the tag validated by the closest government employee. The warden after 3 days of searching for something to pin on Josh, found a barn that was not visible from the property Josh hunted on that was "apparently" within 150 yards from where Josh fired his bow. With no solid proof of anything, and out of spite because Josh killed this deer that he wanted to, Josh was given two misdemeanor tickets, meat was confiscated from the butcher, hide was confiscated from the taxidermist, and antlers confiscated from Josh's home. One ticket for illegal take of game and one for discharging a deadly weapon within 150 yards of an occupied building which in this case was a barn that was ironically used for archery practice and occupied by one cow. Even after getting a court order signed by the judge saying they must release the antlers back to Josh, the guy in charge of the evidence locker was rude and threatening and refused to give the antlers back (which in its own is breaking the law). It blows my mind that a blatant poacher who was caught red handed on video gets away with keeping his meat and a small ticket for incorrectly filling out his tag while a honest hunter who followed all the laws got everything in the book thrown at him. I wish this poacher would have gotten everything he deserved! Makes me furious!

I know who this poacher is. He does this on a regular basis especially on that property. I don't know him very well, I know him through some of my good friends who are honest lawful hunters. This type of stuff makes me livid and gives us lawful hunters a bad name. He 100% knew he was on the wrong property and looked comfortable like he didn't know because he does this regularly and hasn't been caught yet. Found out a warden showed up to his house the other afternoon and only took the head of the animal and wrote him a ticket for improperly filling out his tag and that was it. Can not believe a guy like this purposely trespassing and poaching with video proof of the act got away with keeping his meat and just a ticket for improperly filling out his tag. I'm sure you all have heard the story from several years ago about Josh Kettl and his monster D16 buck that was confiscated three days later and had to take a plead bargain after many months of court meetings and investigations because he couldn't take anymore time off of paramedic school without prolonging his carer. Josh did and does everything by the book and the warden (who had been watching and trying to get permission to hunt this buck for while) went way beyond and out of his way to find anything he could to ruin this young hunters success. Josh had written permission from the property owner, had the correct tag, killed it with his bow and got the tag validated by the closest government employee. The warden after 3 days of searching for something to pin on Josh, found a barn that was not visible from the property Josh hunted on that was "apparently" within 150 yards from where Josh fired his bow. With no solid proof of anything, and out of spite because Josh killed this deer that he wanted to, Josh was given two misdemeanor tickets, meat was confiscated from the butcher, hide was confiscated from the taxidermist, and antlers confiscated from Josh's home. One ticket for illegal take of game and one for discharging a deadly weapon within 150 yards of an occupied building which in this case was a barn that was ironically used for archery practice and occupied by one cow. Even after getting a court order signed by the judge saying they must release the antlers back to Josh, the guy in charge of the evidence locker was rude and threatening and refused to give the antlers back (which in its own is breaking the law). It blows my mind that a blatant poacher who was caught red handed on video gets away with keeping his meat and a small ticket for incorrectly filling out his tag while a honest hunter who followed all the laws got everything in the book thrown at him. I wish this poacher would have gotten everything he deserved! Makes me furious!
SOUNDS LIKE THE KIDS THAT GOT CAUGHT IN JULIAN A COUPLE YEARS BACK. NOTHING HAPPENED TO THEM EITHER.

Reactions: Kicking Wing
SoCalTater,

Welcome to SCH.....I warned this same guy a year ago about a tag violation….After calling me an a$$hole, he apparently didn't take my advice.....I should've called the warden on him then.....What goes around, comes around.

At least, since this was deer hunting violation, he won't be able to hunt deer next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kicking Wing
As soon as I saw this video I knew exactly who this was. When I was first getting into hunting this guy told me he was super experienced and would show me the ropes. Not having ever hunted before and being somewhat naive I gladly accepted the offer. On my first ever “hunt” he drug me along into a similar type of situation where there was a encounter with a landowner. I was raised better than that and I was able to respectfully explain my situation and lack of knowledge to the landowner who was somewhat understanding. I was actually really put off from hunting for quite a while because that was my only experience and it wasn’t fun. Luckily for me I was able to link up with some great guys shortly after that who have been hunting under ilovesprig for a very long time and they were able to show me how fun and rewarding it is when you do everything the right way.

I've only hunted d16 a couple of times, and I've done it solo and taken a non-hunting friend just for kicks. I once reached out to a guy that has hunted d16 many times and has been successful most of the times. When I almost took his invite to hunt the day before I called and askd him to give me a run down of how the day would look like, he described it something like this.....

We will get there at 4am, cross 2 private properties, go through some BLM land then wait at a certain spot and wait for another property owner to pass on his horse doing his daily land check, we will hide in nearby brush. After that we can cross his land into more BLM land and hunt that area... WTF... I quickly told him I was out for that hunt and that he should stop doing all that sketchy crap that it could get him shot. I never spoke with him again.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu