San Felipe Wildlife Area Quail/Chukar Hunt 10.20

No Chukar here, Gotta go to the high desert for those and after the drought we have had don't bet your life on it. It will take many years of good wet winters here and in the high desert to even begin to approach the wildlife bird counts that existed years ago. Turkey's are beginning to make a comeback but still have along way to go.

About the farthest south chukar got was the Victorville area...Last guys I know to hunt near there said they never saw or heard a bird.

Quail may be pretty good at SFWA OU...I saw a lot of new birds before I left.

Back in the day in the 70's when I lived in Helendale on route 66 halfway between Victorviille and Barstow there were Chukar just outside of Victorville in a town called Oro Grande just below George airforce base, Not many but they were there on the bluffs overlooking the wet to dry part of the Mojave river. I'm sure that the way that part of the world has gone that they no longer exist. ( lack of agriculture and water) maybe down towards Lucerne valley where the habitat is a bit better. Some folks tell me the see them once in awhile above Yucca valley and Morongo valley but they tell me it appears to be so fragile they would not hunt them out of fear of collapsing the population to the point they would never return. I would say leave them alone at this point in time. If you want to shoot and eat one go buy it from a bird farm and plant and shoot. Sprig can tell you about the heyday of Chukar in the 60's and 70's. Please chime in Steve and tell us about the good old days with photo's...

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Was checking my draws today and won the Oak Grove unit hunt for Quail on Oct 20.

So stoked, love hunting in this area but never been on this particular parcel.

Chukar dont come that far south do they?

I got drawn for the Oct 20 hunt as well. I did this hunt last year so I have some info I will share in a PM. I wouldn't get your hopes too high though as last year's numbers of birds taken vs. hunter numbers was extremely low: 1-2 birds total for maybe 20-30 hunters. Hoping this years rains have improved numbers and will make for a better hunt this year.

If I were looking to kill quail I would be in the valley in large drainage's between crop fields. Lots of birds this year in my opinion no need to go San Felipe. I miss hunting birds, dang deer have ruined my life.

Chukar hunting certainly was great in the 60's, 70's, and 80's (and some good years in the 90's)...I hunted them from Crowley Lake/White Mts., and all the way down to Stoddard wells (Victorville)...The best for my family was the Scodie Mts.. Ridgecrest, Black Mts., Randsburg, Trona, Mojave, Owens Valley (especially Big Pine Cyn)...I've heard they've made a bit of a comeback in the Owens...So, that would be nice...I think the lower fringe populations may be gone.

.stoddard wells 1973.jpgstoddard wells 1980.jpgstoddard wells 1982.jpgRovanna, Ca. 10-82.jpgbig pine cyn 1982.jpgkelsoscodie 1987.jpg

i remember researching Chukar a few months ago but sometimes the DFG maps I use are really dated and thought maybe they established down here since the hunt was titled that way, Never seen one around but do look tasty. Found a reminder on my phone for aug 2020 that said Archery Chukar/Grouse and in the notes was just - Tahoeish?

Those look like good times Steve, wish I had a game dog. Maybe I can work with my Boston Terrier pup over the winter, better than nothing I guess, not the brightest animal for sure, far from it actually, but she can cause a commotion. Actually might Have better luck working with the Chihuahua.

Yea will be good to meet up with some SCH’ers. I will be the one in the mustang parked under the 4x4’s. Anyone know if they allow you to drive down the road any length or parking right inside the gate only on past hunts?

This hunt was a blast, literally.

Before the hunt started another hunter walked up and asked if I wanted to partner up since neither of us had dogs. As we hiked out we decided to drop down in the wash and each work one side of it. He had done this hunt before so we headed toward where he saw them last time.

i was down in the wash and not seeing anything but as soon as I would pass a bush and pause I would hear them taking off, literally right behind me like a few feet away, like a ghost. Then Daryl yells out that I flushed like 15-20 of them and I am standing there and didn't see a damm bird. I was like how is that possible I didn't see 15 birds in the air? I did hear them though. He saw where the covey went so we started stalking them. As we followed this covey and it thinned out I started getting an eye for them and started taking some shots.

They started moving out of the wash and up the hill and into thicker brush. I finally got a hit halfway up the hill, saw him go down, after searching everywhere I could not find him. Probably hit the ground running. This is what I was trying to retrieve out of with no dog. I was half way up that hill when I shot him, cactus everywhere was like a maze getting down.

0F0E994E-98BC-493C-8E26-12715F0ED38D.jpeg

we started working our way around this hill and were in an open field and saw another hunter working his way through the brush. We were watching him and about 100 yards in front of him we saw a covey flush, they flew our way and dropped into the wash. The guy that flushed them didn't see them, like I was not seeing them earlier, and he started heading in the opposite direction. I saw him later and asked him if he saw the birds flush and he said he had not seen a bird all day.

We started stalking this covey as it thinned out. At one point I had three of them trapped in a bush and they would not flush, i would go to one side and they would go to the other and round and round we went, after much back n forth they finally jump, all three in a perfect triangle in a tight grouping, 3fer, 15 feet away and CLICK! silence, was out of shells..... still crying about that shot. I can still see it crystal clear in my head.

We had to be back at the check station by noon but had a good solid 3 hours of stalking quail. Once i got an eye for them was in the zone and seeing them everywhere. Usually I am lucky to get one shot off on a hunt, was blasting all day on this one.

Learned alot and cant wait to target quail again before the seasons over.

6F7064B2-CDCA-4A80-BD23-76463CA85620.jpeg

Congrats on learning a lot out there. Next time you’ll bring home some meat.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu