San J 10/23

BangBangBrandon

Jan 22, 2018
San Marcos, CA
Had a pretty good day today out hunting with my friend Ryan and being accompanied by @ilovesprig! I had pick #2 and we chose W-8. Put out a small spread with 2 bubblers and waited for the horn. First bird to fall was a juvie Snow goose. Saw a few mallards early in the AM but nothing really beyond that. Had a lot of blue wing teal flying through and that what we ended up taking home. Altogether we took 7 duck and the 1 goose. Action was pretty good early on then slowed down with another little wave at about 10 after we pulled the deeks. Can’t thank Steve enough for lending his knowledge, stories and dog Trigger to our hunt! Hands down my best day at San J. Hopefully Steve will lend some of the pics he took!

.04238ABB-BF48-4AA4-8829-AC6921BF1FC8.jpeg6263B23C-F7A0-4000-A5E3-892A0B2B91F1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats must’ve been cool getting a snow goose, I’ve never got one do they taste pretty good?
Waterfowl taste's like waterfowl, It's all about the feed the have been on as far as flavor goes from my experience. If they have been eating grain or peas or some sort of high quality feed all the better, if they are eating mud bugs and alfalfa or grass not so much. In all cases from my experience other ingerdients need to be added as well as not over cooking it to make it palatable for me. Wild game meat cooking requires knowledge and technique to get good results because it is very lean and can be turned into shoe leather if you are not careful

It’s a bit cooler today, but the wind is up. I wish I knew you guys were out there, I would have invited you over for a beer. I’m 5.6 miles away from the SJ parking lot

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu