San Jac disabled blind question

duck-boy

Nov 25, 2015
What's up all. Quick question here. My dad finally got drawn for a disabled blind at the Jac. First time. Does anyone know how many hunters can hunt the blind? Are 3 hunters allowed? If so, is there enough room for 3 shooters?
Thanks in advance
Ron

Reactions: Loosenutswelding
What's up all. Quick question here. My dad finally got drawn for a disabled blind at the Jac. First time. Does anyone know how many hunters can hunt the blind? Are 3 hunters allowed? If so, is there enough room for 3 shooters?
Thanks in advance
Ron
Yep u can hunt up to 4 people. Adults or jrs doesnt matter. 4 max. That being said sj is mostly a 2 man spot but some blinds will fit 3 guys. So you will be okay hunting 3 guys. 4 is really pushing it. Imo

Reactions: duck-boy
Ron,

The 2 handicap blinds are B-4 and C-3...Both are tight and you better have a dog...Tule City.......Probably 90% pass shooting....... ;)

Thanks for the info both of you guys!

Steve thanks for the heads up. Got the dog but you would think they would clear some tules out since it's a disabled blind and all.....and I thought ALL of San Jac was pass shooting....hardly ever seen a hunter let birds decoy there....

Thanks for the info both of you guys!

Steve thanks for the heads up. Got the dog but you would think they would clear some tules out since it's a disabled blind and all.....and I thought ALL of San Jac was pass shooting....hardly ever seen a hunter let birds decoy there....
Ron,

You would think....And actually, there's a number of blinds that provide decoying ducks....But, with tulies taking up so much open water, it's getting more and more difficult.... :(

Hunted B-4 with my dad yesterday. Seems like maybe they cleared out some of the tules since we hunted there last year. You have open water about 50 yards in front of the blind & to the right, more to the left. Pass shooting it was. Lots of birds land just on the other side of the tules in front of you. The guys in B-2 would walk to the tules trying to jump shoot them on the water. Sometimes they would fly right to you when they did this. We managed 3 Spoonies & 2 Widgen. You can hide in the tules to the right of the blind & fit 3 guys. 3 in the blind would be very tight.

Hunted B-4 with my dad yesterday. Seems like maybe they cleared out some of the tules since we hunted there last year. You have open water about 50 yards in front of the blind & to the right, more to the left. Pass shooting it was. Lots of birds land just on the other side of the tules in front of you. The guys in B-2 would walk to the tules trying to jump shoot them on the water. Sometimes they would fly right to you when they did this. We managed 3 Spoonies & 2 Widgen. You can hide in the tules to the right of the blind & fit 3 guys. 3 in the blind would be very tight.
How deep is it? Last year they told me it was too deep to retrieve birds and that you need a dog, I thought that was weird for a disabled blind.

It was mostly waist deep. I stood in the tules to the right of the blind. Too deep for my tule seat but ok for walking out to retrieve birds & setting up dekes. Never had to go out too far to retrieve birds but my partner shot one that landed close to the edge of the pond to the left of the blind & towards where you park & said it started to get deep. To the front of the blind & to the right was ok.

Those tules are something else. What they need is some type of herbicide or something to control them. I remember a couple of years ago they mowed them (or disked them) out from around Marsh D about 2 months before the season and by opening day they had all grown back.

Those tules are something else. What they need is some type of herbicide or something to control them. I remember a couple of years ago they mowed them (or disked them) out from around Marsh D about 2 months before the season and by opening day they had all grown back.

Eric,

It happens every year...Mowing tulies does nothing, but enhance tule growth....And they spend tons of money on diesel and man hours doing it...I don't get it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu