San Jacinto - a question about the hunt results

Dave3006

Nov 26, 2019
Do you think the hunt results are artificially low for San Jacinto?

My reasoning is that San Jacinto doesn't typically shoot well in the afternoon. And, because it is so close, many people refill in the afternoon not getting many birds.

My theory is that if you were to only calculate the average bird per hunter for those that got on in the morning, it would probably be much, much higher than what is reported for the entire day. So, when San Jacinto reports a 2.0 bird average, it is probably much higher if you had a reservation and started at shoot time.

On the flip side, Wister numbers are more representative because no one is refilling at 12:00pm when it is at it's slowest.

Does that make sense?

Dave,

Your thought on this is right on....I wouldn't necessarily say it doubles the average, but it most certainly could add one bird to the average....Considering how San J is set up and the closeness of the blinds....It shoots as good as anyplace in the state.

IMG_8012.JPG

I drive down their numbers every Wednesday. So if socalhunts page mentions something like “ there was a stark difference between saturdays high number” you know I was there.

But usually the guy before me didn’t get anything in that blind either so it would be a push. They are good about putting the metal ducks on the board so the refills can see what blinds were shooting good in the morning.

I have also seen three guys come in that were hunting blinds all in a row and the outside blinds shot limits and the center blind had one duck. So I think the marksman ship of each hunter can change that number also, or getting most of your ducks during happy hour. If it was still shooting they would not of packed it in. Lots of factors I guess.

I have one more theory on why the San Jacinto bird average is low …

Theory - San Jacinto attracts a less skilled hunter than Wister for those that get reservations. Therefore, they miss more making the average less than it could have been.

The guys that wait for the afternoon refill are hard core and very good hunters. But, as in the original theory, there are much fewer opportunities for their skill level to affect the per bird average.

Is this valid?

I have one more theory on why the San Jacinto bird average is low …

Theory - San Jacinto attracts a less skilled hunter than Wister for those that get reservations. Therefore, they miss more making the average less than it could have been.

The guys that wait for the afternoon refill are hard core and very good hunters. But, as in the original theory, there are much fewer opportunities for their skill level to affect the per bird average.

Is this valid?
If people would let birds work without all the constant sky-busting the average would be way better. More skilled/less skilled don't matter sky-busting and jump shooters are some of the main reasons why average is low.

Reactions: Greenteal
If people would let birds work without all the constant sky-busting the average would be way better. More skilled/less skilled don't matter sky-busting and jump shooters are some of the main reasons why average is low.

Billy,

It truly is amazing how high folks shoot...I guess the selfishness, the will to shoot something, and to hear the gun go bang over rides common ballistical sense.... :rolleyes:

It has actually not been to bad this year from what has been around me. My first hunt of the season I had a guy that shot at everything that came within a 1/4 mile and went after a coot on the water with an unplugged shotgun, but since then the guys around me were using their call more than their shotgun. I did see one guy taking some crazy high shots, but he would only shoot once and the duck dropped each time so I can’t be mad at him.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu