San Jacinto afternoon sweat line?

Vermonster

Dec 14, 2012
Just curious, I could swear I heard about guys getting on in the afternoon when other people have left for the day. Is that correct? If so, how does it work, what time do you show up, how do they organize the sweat line, etc.? Wondering if its worth giving it a try one of these days if I can't get drawn for a normal reservation.

I agree with ilovesprig about how poor the afternoon refills are at this time . Just go to the check station and they can direct you about procedure . The cutoff is 2 pm for going out . All the same requirements as the morning as far as permits , license, stamps, etc apply . It can be a nice way to spend the afternoon and help to learn the refuge . Still no free roam or jump shooting . Good luck , Oldquack 49

Reactions: ilovesprig
Just show up before 2 pm and sign up on the refill list at the check station. If any blinds are available you can immediately pick one and go out, if not, wait a while and someone will come in and you could take their blind. Like Steve said though, at least right now anyway, you'll probably just sit there looking at an empty sky. SJ is definitely a morning thing right now. Of course, being there in the afternoon does give you a little better chance of killing a duck or two than sitting on your couch watching TV does.

Just show up before 2 pm and sign up on the refill list at the check station. If any blinds are available you can immediately pick one and go out, if not, wait a while and someone will come in and you could take their blind. Like Steve said though, at least right now anyway, you'll probably just sit there looking at an empty sky. SJ is definitely a morning thing right now. Of course, being there in the afternoon does give you a little better chance of killing a duck or two than sitting on your couch watching TV does.
So if I want to take the kid this Saturday, just for a first trip up there, I would just need to show up before 2? What would you say the odds are we can get on for an afternoon hunt? Even if we don't get anything, it would still be nice to see the club and go poke around.

And if I do decide to go, what do I need to purchase for a pass?

Thanks.

So if I want to take the kid this Saturday, just for a first trip up there, I would just need to show up before 2? What would you say the odds are we can get on for an afternoon hunt? Even if we don't get anything, it would still be nice to see the club and go poke around.

And if I do decide to go, what do I need to purchase for a pass?

Thanks.

Go you guys will more than likely get on. You will need a type A wildlife pass. Good luck. No better way to learn then to get out there

You can buy a 1day permit or a 2day that you can split for 2 hunts . Cheaper. Turners or any place that sells state licenses will sell the permits . I would suggest getting there earlier so you can watch guys come in with their birds and see what blinds they were in . Also the refill list goes in order of signups . Put your name down so you get a choice maybe better . The 2 o’clock thing is the cutoff . Let the office know you have kids so you don’t take a blind that requires wading to reach . Kids don’t require permits but need to be listed as non hunters. Hope you go and kids have fun ! Oldquack 49

Reactions: ilovesprig
Sean,

We left yesterday at about 9:30 am....There were a couple guys waiting, but lots of open blinds were available.

You can buy a 1day permit or a 2day that you can split for 2 hunts . Cheaper. Turners or any place that sells state licenses will sell the permits . I would suggest getting there earlier so you can watch guys come in with their birds and see what blinds they were in . Also the refill list goes in order of signups . Put your name down so you get a choice maybe better . The 2 o’clock thing is the cutoff . Let the office know you have kids so you don’t take a blind that requires wading to reach . Kids don’t require permits but need to be listed as non hunters. Hope you go and kids have fun ! Oldquack 49
Are the blinds you have to wade 2 better blinds? My son is 15 and has chest waders so that's not an issue. If my 11 year old went he wouldn't have any but I'm not sure if he will. All 3 of us would be shooting though so do we all need passes? Or just the adult?

Thanks for the other replies. Steve, are you going to be around a little later this morning so I can text you real quick?

Text away, Sean....Actually the 2 best blinds right now have walkways...I most the others you need waders...The mud can be rather soft as well.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu